Eureka

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi Folks,

Well I now have my cyclone up and running and the verdict is 'WOW', I am well impressed, dust extraction has never been so good. I have just about finished the ducting and only have the duct to fit to the RAS and chop saw, the SB, P/T and router table are plumbed in so I can now at last use them.
I used steel sprial ducting, as it was much cheaper than plastic and of course less chance of having static build up, but from what I read on a small system this is not much of a problem.

Wathing the dust drop from the cyclone into the collection bin through the plastic flex hose is fascinating, when the bins full, stop the cyclone, lift the lid and wheel the bin away from empting, back under the cyclone, start up and away I go again.
The thicknessing table on the P/T has nvere been so clean, with the old extractor, there was always lots of chips on the table that had to be cleared before putting the wood through agian, but it now has only a couple of pieces, a quick blow and there gone, up the ducting and then I can feed the wood through again. I did alter the dust hood to take the 6" flex hose, to make sure I had the maximum air flow, as it was a 5" port.
Dust extraction on the SB is also excellent, but would be 100% if I had the blade guard fitted and a hose off that as well, but it is much better than before.

Well I am a very happy chappy :D and its been well worth the time and effort as well as the money to do it, I won't be going back to the 2 bag type ever again. My longest run of ducting is to the router table about 25ft, I have not tried the router yet, but I am sure it will be OK, it does not make so much dust as the PT and that's working on about 20ft, but will keep you posted.

Hi John,

The motor/fan I used was from my Charnwood W691 extractor rated at 2000 cmh, but with the restrictions removed, it shifts a lot more air than that!.
I will put some more pics up as soon as I can so you can have a good look, I for one am chuffed to bits with it. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hi Folks,

I have put some photos in the Gallery under the project section for you to have a butchers at.
As with any extraction system, I have kept the ducting as straight as possible and only put bends in when I only had to. I have used 6" ducting throughout the system which allows the cyclone to do its job better, but it can be reduced if it is not possible to enlarge the port on the machine, but its always best if it can be altered. I have also included a photo of the ready made blast gate, which I used to speed up completing of the ducting. I could have used a home made one which would be much cheaper for which I have drawings for, but until I had completed the ducting, no wood work was being done and that's a sad state of affairs.

I hope you find the photos interesting.

Hi John,

There is a photo of the cyclone and there should be 4 photos of the ducting including the blast gate. When you go into the Gallery setction click on projects and you should find all of them.
If you still can't find them email me at [email protected] and I will send them to you via the email.

Woodtek

I am very interested in the cyclone as I am about to look at installing a workshop dust collection system in my new workshop. I think I have seen an earlier thread discussing how this project originated but unforunately I have slept since then so am unsure of its origin. Was the system buit from a plan, and, if so, where can I get a copy, or, if it is your design, can you give me some pointers?

Regards

Chris

Hi Wizard,

The plans are not mine for the cyclone and I can't remember where I got them from now, but if you email me at [email protected] I can send you a copy.
One thing you will need to know before you start building it, it is 8ft tall or there abouts, depending on how tall you have the colection bin. You will also need a 2hp 2000 cmh motor/fan and a large cartifridge filter for it to exhaust into, unless you have no close neighbours and can let it exhaust straight outside as I do.
I can certainly give you help with its construction and anyother details you may need and if you have some metal work experiance would be a help to you in making it. Its not complicated to build, but bending and rolling the steel is not so easy without the right gear, but it can be done, depending on how thick a material you use.
I can get the cartfidge filters for you at quite a reasonable cost if you need one, as it is large at 12.752 dia and about 30" high and you need the right one for the cyclone. I can also get the steel ducting at a senible price as well if this helps.
Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of any further help. If you go for the cyclone, you won't regret it.

Hi Woodtek,

I am part way though making a cyclone using the plans I bought from WOOD magazine.
I would be interested in the cost and supplier for the filter you have mentioned.

Hi Dave,

I have 2 filters here and if they are of use to you, you can have one of them for the same price I paid for them. I was going to use them for my cyclone, but in the end I put the exhaust straight outside, so I don't need them now.
Just one filter will be more than big enough for your cyclone and if my memory serves me right you are making the cyclone from the plans you downloaded for $9, or there abouts. I too, downloaded these plans, but decided to build another one I found instead, so one of these filters will do your cyclone well. They are 12/75" dia and 26" high and they cost me £55 each, quite expenisve I know, but it will be good on your cyclone, as the bigger they are the less resistance, which will help your cyclone work better and it will last for years. You can have it for the same price.
If this is of help let me know.

Woodtek, I expect this winter you will want to keep your warm workshop air inside the workshop.

When I move workshop (hopefully quite soon, the ceiling height is bit low where I am at the moment) I will be very interested in buying a cyclone etc from you

John

Hi John,

Yes I agree you have a valid point there about losing the heat in my workshop, but as I work in there for a living as well and have extractor fans going quite often, the little amount I use the cyclone is not going to make much differance. But I take you point, my only trouble is, that its not woodwork I earn my living from.

I would be please to help you with your extraction set up and if before you buy you can get to Wales, as I am near Swansea and have a look at the cyclone running and working, you would be more than welcome, just let me know.

Dave, you might be interested to know the the plans you got for your cyclone are being upgraded to improve its proformance. I am not sure when, but I know it is being done, but will keep you posted if this is of help.

Hi Woodtek,

I have heard that there are some mods for the plans I am using. Putting the inlet pipe through the side, up to the centre line of the cyclone seems a popular one that gives an improvement.
So far I have only made the mdf parts. The metal work is cut out but I need to form up the parts. The hole for the inlet is not cut yet so any mods can be added at this stage. :)
If you have any more information, I would be pleased to have a copy. :D
I like the look of your ducting, but I think its probably out side my budget :(
Once I have the unit finnished, I may get back to you and if you still have a filter buy that from you.

Hi DaveL,

Glad to hear that you have heard of the mods to the cyclone that you are building. Certainly it will help putting the inlet to the centre line of the cyclone. On the design that I used this inlet is also angled at 15deg as it goes into the cyclone, I don't know if they will be changing that as well on your design, but if I hear anything I will pass it on.

Thank you for your knid words about my ducting that I put up, I am pleased with the way it worked out and it certainly is doing the job. I understand your concerns about the cost, but I found when I bought my last extractor from Charnwood, the motor/fan assembly is now on the cyclone, I bought some plastic soil pipe and I found it much more expensive than the steel. To give you an idea of cost in steel, I can supply it at the following cost.
150mm spiral pipe £9.52p per 3 mts
150mm 90deg bend £7.28p
150mm 45deg bend £5.36p
and so on, blast gates are expensive at around £28 each, but I have some drawings for a home made one out of plywood that works just as well.
If you think the above will be of help let me know. I can also do 100mm spiral pipe as well, if you prefer this size, it just depends which size ducting will work best on your cyclone.
I have 2 of these filters, so if you want one, no problem, I know there not cheap, but they are good filters, will last for years and becuase of there size will not need cleaning very often and one of these will do the job.

Hi Woodtek,

I wish you had posted the cost of the steel ducting before, I ordered plastic soil pipe last night online, had an email today saying it had been dispatched this morning. The bummer, its only about 10% cheaper than your steel duct work :x
Well its on its way, no stopping it now :!:
I have some plans for blast gates and will have a go at making some from the left over bits of ply/mdf. :)

Hi DaveL,

Oh well there you go, you can't win them all, as they say, at least you have saved about 10%, so that must be a good thing. I hope it all goes well for you, let us know how you get on once you have completed the system. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back