eucalyptus burl [burr] bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughie

Established Member
Reaction score
Small bowl 6.5x5.0" resinous eucalyptus burl. Filled the blank with CA prior to turning as this sort of timber can be very porous and weak. Often you find out as a bit of it whizzs past your head.

Attachments

• woodfast 123.jpg
    woodfast 123.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,460
  • woodfast 125.jpg
    woodfast 125.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,460
This is a beautiful piece, I am green with envy !!!! :mrgreen: This type of burr is very few and far between here in UK,so once again :mrgreen:
Keep up the wonderful work.
Frank.

Beautiful piece Hugh, just what I aspire to.
What did you use to carve with ?
It looks like a difficult pattern to keep in symmetry.

Tony

hello hughie, superb piece lovely to see,thanks for posting.

you say you filled it with CA before turning what effect would this have on your tool edges.

i have never uded it to an extent that it would be a large part of my turning so is it

back to the grinder more often ?

It looks like a difficult pattern to keep in symmetry.
No being essentially flat you can run around it with a file or rasp.

you say you filled it with CA before turning what effect would this have on your tool edges.
Not really as the burl was reasonably tough and as for sharpening about average for returns to the grinder

Very nice indeed! I like really eucalyptus but all I've got/used is much lighter in colour, but then it's not burr. Seem to remember reading there are quite a few varieties. Must have cost a fortune in CA?

absolutely stunning bowl.

Forgive my ignorance but what does CA stand for? Is it Cascamite?
And may I also ask how you filled the blank? Is this as simple as pouring it over and letting it soak in?
Sorry for so many questions, I am very new to turning.
Cheers David

'Filling the blank' I went around the worst of the holes, bark bits, and large resin veins and poured CA in. Did this several times as to make sure it was good and solid, well, as much as I could :)

Thanks a lot, Will that normally last for the whole turning or would you re-apply when you have roughed out the basic shape?

Thanks a lot, Will that normally last for the whole turning or would you re-apply when you have roughed out the basic shape?
[/quote]

Yes and No :) filled it intially but you need to keep an eye on things as you go along. This stuff is inherrently weak due to the veins and so it may need more here and there

Back