Escape from the mrs shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippywhappy

Reaction score
Hi
I’m building an ‘escape from the mrs shed’
It’s 6m wide by 4m deep. Front internal wall is going to stand 2.6m high sloping off to 2.4m at the rear.
I started off by digging holes at every 1m, put 4”x4” tanilized posts into them and then used 4”x2” pefc timber for my supporting joists.
External walls are 4”x2” tanilized timber spaced at 600 to centre.
I’m using p5 t&g 22mm for the floor.
I’m going to be using 6”x2” pefc timber for my sloping roof.
This is where I’m a bit stuck:
Will I need to notch the timbers to sit on top of my walls? Or cut them so they’re flat on the walls?
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated 👍

Attachments

• F2D4AA29-AE11-4472-A199-DD5EC57F6480.jpeg
    F2D4AA29-AE11-4472-A199-DD5EC57F6480.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 78
These didn’t add for some reason?

Attachments

• 3DEF10DB-AB8A-43DA-84B8-FA70519BFD3C.jpeg
    3DEF10DB-AB8A-43DA-84B8-FA70519BFD3C.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 3A224D04-48F5-41AC-B99D-9937C43A72E3.jpeg
    3A224D04-48F5-41AC-B99D-9937C43A72E3.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 1DB5F61F-7BF5-44AD-B66C-A9D162DB116E.jpeg
    1DB5F61F-7BF5-44AD-B66C-A9D162DB116E.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 76
" Will I need to notch the timbers to sit on top of my walls?
Or cut them so that they’re flat on the walls? "
Your first question are you just talking about a birds mouth? And the second question do you mean literally just standing the joist on top of the wall?
Difficult to answer without knowing exactly what you are referring to and intending, perhaps a sketch would help?
Ian

‘The points of contact’ are unsure of.
If I literally site the roof timber on the walls, all the weight will be on such a small footprint, but if I notch the timber am I not reducing the depth of timber?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 29
Yes thanks for that, you could make birdmouths which take out the minimum amount from the joists, but a 200mm drop over a 4 m span means that the amount almost certainly isn’t worth doing imo. Ian

So would you recommend just sitting them on top of the walls with no birds mouths? That front and rear?

So would you recommend just sitting them on top of the walls with no birds mouths? That front and rear?
I don’t see why not, you’ll know better when you have the walls up, and can rest one up there, the angle is absolutely negligible. Ian
Absolutely right with you there re-the midwife, that was bad enough but then they had to bring Nuns and religion into it as well!

If you are concerned that the roof timbers are insufficiently supported and don't want to cut birds mouth, then an alternative is to cut some simple wedges and nail/glue/screw those into place.

I’ve built all the walls in 2m sections. Redid the front and back walls and reduced them to 400mm centres, it was playing on my mind that 600mm centres might not take the weight 💁🏼‍♂️
I’ve been along and made sure the floor is as level as it’s ever going to be.
Measured corner to corner and bang on 24’. I’m 5mm wider at the back somehow 💁🏼‍♂️
I’ve ordered a tonne of sand and gravel and 6 bags of cement for tomorrow, plan on

I’ve built all the walls in 2m sections. Redid the front and back walls and reduced them to 400mm centres, it was playing on my mind that 600mm centres might not take the weight 💁🏼‍♂️
I’ve been along and made sure the floor is as level as it’s ever going to be.
Measured corner to corner and bang on 24’. I’m 5mm wider at the back somehow 💁🏼‍♂️
I’ve ordered a tonne of sand and gravel and 6 bags of cement for tomorrow, plan on back filling the post holes.
I’ve not put any weed suppressant down and am starting to think I had best do?

I would be concerned that over time those 4x4 tanalised posts will rot away and those in the middle will be impossible to reach for any kind of repair without ripping up your shop floor :unsure:

Sorry to have to tell you but it will happen at some point in the future o_O how long depends on the treatment that the posts were given but even the best quality treatment will only give you finite amount of time before nature does the inevitable :eek:.

I would be concerned that over time those 4x4 tanalised posts will rot away and those in the middle will be impossible to reach for any kind of repair without ripping up your shop floor :unsure:

I thought that but didn't like saying anything 😟

Is it to late to consider removing the posts and replacing with something like blocks for a easy way or perhaps use the holes to put in a length of drainpipe and filling with concrete, pop into the local carpet store of the Clive Sully way and get the empty rolls for free,its a bit more work now but will save you heart ache and effort down the road. There are other ways of course but that one is relatively quick and cheap to do.
I know it probably sounds that i am trying to rain on your parade but that is not my intent :),just one more thing though o_O:rolleyes: A raised shop like yours will be the perfect Des Res for all manner of critters to live beneath :eek:

Latest posts

Back