Erm...now what?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blurk99

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been a bit careless.. i was cutting a worktop today for the inlaws but i didn't remove all the plastic sheeting that covered it (i thought i had) and underneath the cutter decided to wrap itself in polythene, whip the polythene out from under the jig and worktop, then it 'wound itself in' and went *BANG*..... i retrieved it and switched it on again but it sounds like a bag of spanners, oh, and the collet has about 2mm of 'wobble' whilst cutting. I think the 3/8ths Gripley has come loose or summat...

Can anyone recommend a good 1/2 router? i've been musing about the Axminster 127 - mainly because i've always been treated fairly by the company, i've never had 'quality' power tool like PC/Festool etc, and i don't think the quality will benefit me for my use, besides her indoors would hit the roof if i blew £200.

All these JCB/NuTool/Silverline routers - are they just different coloured plastic cases? they look very similar to me

cheers

Jim

I have the Axminster and I am happy with it.Like you I don't do enough routing to warrant an expensive one but the 127 feels much better than the cheapo that I had.

Hi Jim

Sorry to hear about your problem.

blurk99":wiplvag1 said:
All these JCB/NuTool/Silverline routers - are they just different coloured plastic cases? they look very similar to me

Yes, probably. Each customer can specify the components used so there might be some slight differences but basically, they're all pretty much the same.

Cheers
Neil

I have the Axminster 127 - it works fine, but is incredibly noisy. I've never used any others so theis is a subjective view. I was looking at other 1/2" routers recently, I like the Triton depth adjustment, though can't vouch for it's performance.

Les

I like the DeWalt DW621. Unfortunately, outside of the US, it seems to be available only with a 1/4" collet, whereas within the US it supports both a 1/4" and a 1/2" which makes for a very versatile router. I have the 240V 1/4" version (my local retailer was useless when I asked them about the alternative, and when I queried DeWalt directly, I was told that they have no plans to make the 1/2" version available in 240V), but if I were buying it again today I would buy the 1/2" version and get a 110V transformer.

A quick check shows it available here for US$199 (about £105 or so) plus shipping - shipping cost is calculated when you submit your order. Unfortunately, you'll also have to factor in VAT and iimport duty, but for deliveries to Ireland, whether you get charged or not is hit and miss - I have no idea of whether the same odds apply to deliveries to the UK. Comparing against the price locally here in Dublin though, even adding on import duty and VAT still leaves this router significantly cheaper than its more limited sibling in a local outlet (mutter mutter!), but would probably push the cost beyond the price you say you are willing to pay. I also have no idea of whether coastaltool.com is a good source, not ever having used them, but this router is available from a number of US sites.

Pooka,

Do you know if the DW 621 sold in the UK can accept a half inch USA collet? Or is the motor shaft not bored wide enough to accept it? I have a 621 and it would indeed be very handy of it could take a half inch bit. I do have an 8mm collet as well as the quarter inch for mine.

Hi Chris,

From what I was told at the time, none of the 240V DW621 routers can take a 1/2" collet. I had a look at mine to see if there was some way "around" this anyway - I couldn't believe that DeWalt would bother to produce a 1/4"-only router just for Europe. Unfortunately though, that seems to be exactly what they have done. As far as I can remember, the shaft itself is bored out to 1/4" and it does not appear to be replaceable (I think I had a quick look at the list of replacement parts too, in the instruction manual, last year but couldn't see a means of getting round the limitation, although I must check that again). It is a real shame, because it would be a great router if it were able to take a 1/2" collet.

It has made me extremely wary of US-based reviews too. I bought the DW621 on the basis of a number of very favourable US reviews of it (that was before I discovered this forum). Since then I have noticed a few other machines whose specs differ, by more than just the voltage, between the US and Europe so a machine that earns a glowing review in the US may not be the same one that I find in the shops here (in spite of the model number being the same or very similar).

Pooka,
Thanks. I just nipped out to measure mine and there is indeed no way it would take a half inch collet - the entry to the hole in the shaft is just under 1/2 inch. As I mentioned though, mine does take an 8mm collet and over here we have quite a lot of bits with 8mm stems which are a lot meatier than quarter inch ones.

Ho Pooka

I don't buy any 1/4" cutters as the 8mm are always the same price.

As Chris says they are much meatier than the 1/4". IIRC it is three time as much metal.

Cheers
Neil

Where do you get your cutters from Neil? I can never seem to get 8mm in the ones that I want from Wealden?

Jim - I have bought two 1/2" Elu routers off Ebay for under £100. May be worth a look. My current one (MOF 177E) runs a little hot sometimes but otherwise is very good. And all standard accesseries fit plus the build quality is superb.

Cheers

Gidon

Thanks for the tip re the 8mm router bits. I saw them mentioned somewhere before, but as they were not readily available in the shops here, I didn't explore them. I'll have a look in my local retailers again, although my best bet is probably to buy them online (a lot of the retailers here suck! :( ).

Thanks Neil - yep they do a fair range of 8mm cutters - but none in the cutters I've needed recently! Still not snapped one yet - although this onedoes feel a little clumsy on a 1/4" collet!
Cheers
Gidon

Back