Erbauer Router ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, just wondering if anyone has any opinions on an Erbauer 1/2" router that Screwfix is selling for £99.99. Stock code 54737 ERBRT. A good deal or are there better deals around ?

Hi Dog/Neil,

I thought that the Axminster AW127R looked identical to the Erbauer - I have been considering the Axminster but I haven't been able to find many opinions on it. Dog - you can donload the manual for the Axminster version on their website which may help in making a decision.

The alternative I am considering is the Makita 3612 (SWMBO has a Makita Mitre Saw & Jigsaw 8) which I am allowed to borrow occasionally so I know that the Makita would last forever) but I am a little worried that is is on the heavy side as I will be using it handheld as well as in the table. Also at £200 it won't leave much cash for other toys (oops I mean tools) and some good router bits.

Cheers,

Neil

Have a look at Ebay- there are a lot of these Erbauer routers sold for £45-60. Some new. Not sure where they are getting them from but good price.

Cheers

Gidon

I'll download the manual and read any reviews seeing as the Axminster tool might be a better deal. Never had much luck with sellers on Ebay, prefer somewhere like Axminster etc to talk to if anything goes wrong, not so easy with some Ebay/other on-line auction sellers :roll: :)

Hi Dog

Have you had a look at the Performance Pro from B&Q for about 80 pounds(It must be the Pro model). That has had a good review for a router in it's class. Apparently, you open the box throw away the cutters and then go from there.

I would recommend that you buy some really good cutters because,even with a cheaper router, it will take your woodworking to a different level.

Cheers
Neil

Thanks for the advice, I'll check that out and whichever router I go for in this price range I'll certainly bin the cutters and get myself some decent ones and I'm sure I'll notice the difference compared to what I put up with now :roll: :)

Hi Neil

The only thing I'd worry about with cheap routers is whether or not you are going to be able to get replacement collets and collet nuts in a few years time. The low cost machines are notorious for poor quality collets which don't last. It all depends on how much you use your router. Guys in the trade will (willingly?) pay for a Makita/deWalt/Festool/Maffell/Bosch Industrial because they know that the service backup is there when you need it. Whilst I whince at some of the prices I have to pay for kit (like £20 + VAT for a DW collet) the stuff is reliable......

On the subject of cutters, the cheap sets by NuTool, etc seem to be a good starting point to try your hand, but the biggest difference to the performance of any router is to partner it with a good cutter. Really and truly a case of you gets what yer pays for...

Scrit

Hi Scrit

I couldn't agree more. The difference in quality between the Chinese clones and an "industrial" router is dramatic.

The only reason I mentioned the Performance Pro was because of the price range that Dog was looking at.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil

Sorry to bat on a bit, but I went from amateur to pro woodworker (first stab) in the late 1970s - that's when I found out how poorly made DIY and "cheap" tools were. Quality has improved vastly in the intervening years and I'm amazed at some of the stuff you see in B&Q Warehouse (yes, I do go there from time to time), just as the poor quality of some of it makes me whnce

Scrit

Hey All,
As regards the comments on replacement collets for the cheaper routers you will be poleased to know that Trend offer a huge variety, and yes that includes Power Devil, etc.
Hope this is of help,
Philly :lol:

Neil,

re Scrit's rec' on NuTool cutter set - don't go there. SWMBO bought a set (£25 IIRC) for her green Bosch, and they were an absolute abomination - utterly the worst cutters I've ever seen. Even the freebies that D&M Tools give away free with new routers are way better then these.

Regards.

PitBull.

Hi PB

Newbie_Neil":u0abqxys said:
I couldn't agree more. The difference in quality between the Chinese clones and an "industrial" router is dramatic.

Sorry, I'm confused. :? I have assumed that this is the post you are replying to. If so, please accept my apologies because the "I couldn't agree more" comment was in relation to the difference in quality between Chinese clones and an "industrial" router. I had completely missed Scrit's nutool comment. :oops:

Newbie_Neil":u0abqxys said:
I would recommend that you buy some really good cutters because,even with a cheaper router, it will take your woodworking to a different level.
This was my earlier posting in the thread with regard to buying quality cutters.

Hope this clears things up. :wink:

Cheers

Neil

You think you're confused ? :lol: That's what I like about this place, you start off asking about one thing and by the time you come back your question has been answered and yet more info/comments have been added going off in various directions, I'm learning slowly but thanks all just the same :wink: :D

Back