Epoxy Removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hand Plane

Established Member
Reaction score
I have given myself a challenge of restoring a Georgian pedestal table and a Windsor chair – both of which have had a hard life and need some orthopaedic work! Biggest problem is someone has bodged various joints with some sort of epoxy or similar hard setting glue or filler.

Is there anything which may soften epoxy or fillers?

Most epoxy softens with heat. On smaller things I’ve heated them by putting in a ziplock and boiling. From memory think you need to get to c60-70c

Could try a heat gun tentatively but may interfere with any finishes

Acetone works well on epoxy. Cover with paper towel layers and soak with acetone. Try and cover to reduce evaporation and epoxy will peel away after suitable soaking. Obviously, well ventilated or outdoors if possible!

If its similar to araldite and hard and cured then most solvents wont work. It will as said soften at temps above 70 degrees. I used a steam cleaner to loosen and soften it on some old chairs. that needed taking apart and reglued. Couldn't get the cross bars off as they had been reglued with araldite.

Thanks for the replies. Acetone, steamer and heat gun all available so plenty of choice - before the hair pulling kicks in!

Back