Entry level lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I would ike to try woodturning. Advice please on an entry level lathe. Do I buy new or secondhand and what is a basic toolset for a beginner

Welcome to the forum, and may I make the STRONG recommendation that the first lathe purchase should be some lessons. Adult learning centres would be one way to find a teacher, alternatively woodworking magazines carry ads from private teachers
John

Welcome,

Lessons are indeed useful although theres no harm in getting straight in there and having a go.

I got my first lathe from Axminster, one of the perform ones, and whilest not the bees knees its more than good enough for my abilities at present.

A set of chisels will probably set you back another £60 or so. Second hand is probably a good option as you are likely to get other bits and pieces, chuck etc that someone has already splashed out on.

Good luck and give it a go.

Aidan.

Hi,

There was an article in GWW (sorry cant remember the issue no) on beginning turning, and iirc the perform lathe was recommended as an ideal starting point. It also went into chisels and chucks etc as well and priced up a good starter package. Perhaps someone else can provide the issue no for you, I only ever seem to log in from work these days :roll:

Steve.

Hi Vic,

It would help a little if you could list your budget and let us know what you would like to turn, Bowls and plates etc (faceplate) candlesticks (spindle) or a combination of both.

It is often false economy to buy a small cheap lathe as you can quickly outgrow it. The simplest piece of advice I always offer is to buy the best you can afford.

It might also help if you take a look at the "Which Lathe" thread.

CC

vic do a search for woodturning clubs they will know of someone who will give lessons, tools you need three to start roughing gouge, spindle gouge and a skew chisel ,hamlet , ashley isles or crown .but imho get some lessons first . when a bit of wood spins at 2,000 revs and you poke it with the chisel you will know about it :(

Back