Entry Level Drill Press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Some one was recommending the PERFORM DRILL PRESS It looks a little light weight. What about the Axminster CCD12 at 59 Pounds, it has a keyles chuck which would seem to be a plus.

Anyone care to recommend another or coment on these two?

Steve,

You're in luck 'cos it just so happens that Good Woodworking's current issue has a review of drill presses under £60. They chose the ND12 (CCD12?), and I'd agree with that. The keyless chuck is a real time saver. I have a floor standing ND16 and have been very happy with it. Amazingly the instruction manual that came with it is actually rather good! :shock: Your best bet is to get down to WHSmith's and read the review I would think.

Drill presses are one of those items where you can actually get away with budget versions, in my opinion, so either would probably do you fine.

Cheers, Jester

Thanks Jester

Totally agree, I wouldn't penny pinch on a tool normally but I have limited need a drill press. It is just a drill on a post at the end of the day.

I left my old press at my last address not a good idea on hindsight.

Thanks for the tip, I'll get down and have a read.

Jester

I can't see a ND12 on the Axminxter Site? Is the CCD12 the same model, Anyone?

I have the Perform model. You mentioned it looked light weight. It's far from it, trust me !

You can read my review on this site. I'm very pleased with it so far, well worth the money !

i noticed on the axminster site that they don`t state which if the drill presses they sell has the facility to use thier mortising attachement (i.e. the correct throat/yoke size)

does anyone know if the zxminster drill press stated above can be used with the motising attachment?

Stevezm,
For some reason Axminster list it as an ND12 in the catalogue and a CCD12 as the stock code, just to confuse us all a little. :? I think it's possible that the throat size might be too small for the morticing attachment. A quick call to Axminster would clarify it though. Not to worry anyway, 'cos it's a lousy piece of kit. I got one free with my D/P, tried it once, swore a lot and tossed it into a corner to rot. :evil:

Cheers, Jester

are motising attachements "on a whole" rubbish bits of kit, if so a mortising machine may be the way to go instead!

when i worked at a woodyard (over my summers) i used a chain mortiser to motise out rail holes for fence posts.

4"x4" post, 2"x1" motise in one-go, what a machine! :shock:

I've never tried a mortising attachment in a drill press but from what I've heard half the people hate it and can't get a decent mortise out of it and the other half love it (well like it).

I believe it takes a bit of setting up and of course as norm always points out you can't use your drill press when its set up to cut mortices.

A mortising machine IMO is much better (easy to set-up, more powerful) but if your only going to be cutting the occasional mortise a attachment could be perfect.

Hi folks

TLOML tried a mortising attachment in a drill press. It was awfully fiddly to set up and he never got it to cut decently :( . In the end, he threw it away and bought a Perform dedicated mortiser from Axminster. It cost less than £100 and kept him happy until the next tools catalogue arrived :wink: .

Yours

Gill

Yup! This Axminster Model wont take a Mortice Attachement. But you would be better getting Purpose built Morticer.

If you don't make a lot or mortices or even if you do, you might be better of using a router. I had a Bench Morticer and got rid of it to make some room. Recently I had to Mortice out a dozen or so slots for a ladder and with a square cut in a piece of ply a clamp and a router, it was easy and very quick and to be honest getting the 8' pieces on to a morticer would have been a major room pain.

Sorry,
but I dont find mortice attachment time consuming or fiddly to set up.
If its not cutting, something is not sharp.
The attachment would not fit my DP and I had a adapter made to fit at a cost of a pint down the local, far better than those curved steel things that come with it.
When setting up I use templates, if I want the mortice 1/2!" from the edge
I just put a 1/2" thick x12" template against the chisel and move the fence up against it, simple. That means the chisel doesnt have to be parallel as long as the fence is parallel with the chisel.
I dont use the side hold downs as they mark the wood and there is no need any way.
I did have to take the slack up on the quill as you dont notice it when you bore a round hole, but shows up when boring a square hole
The speed of the drill is very important.

.http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/sawdustproducer.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=431

Sawdust Producer

Re picture attached to your posting ...

At the risk of sounding like a concerned grannie, I must tell you that a long sleeved shirt with the cuff unbuttoned that close to a spinning object is a VERY BAD THING ...

regards

eeyore

having nearly removed the last knuckle of my right-hand little finger :shock: :shock: :shock: with an electric grinder (it kicked back on my :( ) I shudder and can`t look when i see dangerous stuff!!
(at night i thank my lucky stars that it wasn`t my left hand [i play the guitar seriously])

I`m now V E R Y careful when using ANY tools

anyhow....... sawdust producer> what drill press is it that your using?
are there any real power requirements (on the drill press) for using a mortising attachement?

I`ve always been interested in these attachements, and having a small workshop it would be advantageous to have muli-purpose machines

has anyone else ever had any problems using one of these?

Umm?
Thanks for spoting the delibarate mistike Lads 10 out of10.
I posted that pic on another forum (cough) at least a fortnight and nobody
spoted it.
. cough cough snezee!

The piccy was staged like most piccys are, Missis took it, but it was actually cutting at the time hoping the flash would frezze the swarf being ejected.

First of all, Im not trying to sell you one the desion is always yours
at the end of the Day, but it is not as bad as some people try make out
I got mine working for me because of determanation and also by having
had the adapter professionaly made (a boozer is a good place for links)
Right, the D/P in question is a Clarke metalworker, If I known then what I know now I would not purchase it I would go for a Rexon or a Axminster(if I had bucks Record).
Dont think about looking for a D/P under 1/2hp. not enought ommph at
top speed no matter what you are doing with it.
At the end of the day, I think I`ve been watching Nornam Abraham for?? well ever since it was on H/L and that`s what he had but in a Shopsmith then progressed to a Delta D/P

Please be patient and I will hopefully post piccys of the adapter that came with it and the one I picked up in the pub, in the Morn

Nice one jester :wink:

After reading one of your postings (Cough)I hope I can pinch another of your quotes.

" Pick a system. Stick with it. Learn how to use it"

I think thats a good quote relavant for this thread :|

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Jester, I have decided to go for the Floor standing ND16F also. In the end I need the bench space and this model sound ideal. So much for the 60 pound model? hey Ho.

Steve

Steve,

Glad to see I'm not the only one who starts off looking at the "sensible" option and ends up with something bigger. :wink: Incidentally, my advice is to bolt it to the floor. It's pretty heavy and you do not want it toppling over. :shock: Have fun, even though it's boring... (Boom, boom) :lol:

Cheers, Jester

Latest posts

Back