Enough clamps??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

My sons father in law has a rocking chair that the plywood top rail has split open almost the whole way through!,He brought it to see if I could do anything with it so I had to split it fully which was so easy as there was hardly any of it holding!!

I brushed PVA glue thinly on both sides and started clamping!, I could have done with three hands to hold the packing strips in place but got there!!
ZtH9tl8.jpg
3foDpll.jpg

I'll join the two parts back together tomorrow, Just the split in the veneer to address then!!

It's quite heavy with all those clamps on!!

John (y)

And no two the same. I like your style man! :cool:

The two in the centre are the same type as each other but one has lost the foot so there's just the ball there! 😂😂
I have pairs of sash clamps although the 3' ones I won at an auction were nicked when my garage was raided by a junkie, I know who it was but had no proof :mad:

EDIT- Forgot to say, I've a few pairs of these but two are holding an MG Midget hardtop to the roof of my garage! :giggle: :giggle:

John (y)

Ok., thats alright then. (TBH anyone who runs a little classic british sports car is definitely OK in my book!)

I never got round to finishing the welding on the wings and door bottoms as my knees packed in!, I've had both replaced but they're killing me again!!

You'll probably recognise this little iron lump!!
VYldOas.jpg

John :)

Mimosa yellow, lovely colour. (y)

Mine is a spitty IV 1300 from ‘72. Its in bits too. A near barn find which had stood for years. Rubbers and seals all gone, no brakes, carbs a bit gummed up but sort of runs till it get hot (missing carb heat shield).

Hope you can get the knees sorted and make some progress on it

( guess we‘d better stop before this becomes a classic car thread!)

Not quite a sports car but I love her.....
this is Charlotte.....1934 Commer Bread van.....been mine for nearly 40 years......
needs a new Oak T+G floor in the back and over the cab some new Ash frameing....
She towed my 6m caravan to Crete.....
rebuilt her from basically scrap.....a lot of hand made parts but thats what I do.....
one thing about being here tho, the ROT stops now......hahaha.....

IMG_1492.jpeg

Not quite a sports car but I love her.....
this is Charlotte.....1934 Commer Bread van.....been mine for nearly 40 years......
needs a new Oak T+G floor in the back and over the cab some new Ash frameing....
She towed my 6m caravan to Crete.....
rebuilt her from basically scrap.....a lot of hand made parts but thats what I do.....
one thing about being here tho, the ROT stops now......hahaha.....

View attachment 91909

Wow that is epic , what a vehicle . Love it and well done keeping it up and running for 40 years

Hi all

My sons father in law has a rocking chair that the plywood top rail has split open almost the whole way through!,He brought it to see if I could do anything with it so I had to split it fully which was so easy as there was hardly any of it holding!!

I brushed PVA glue thinly on both sides and started clamping!, I could have done with three hands to hold the packing strips in place but got there!!
ZtH9tl8.jpg
3foDpll.jpg

I'll join the two parts back together tomorrow, Just the split in the veneer to address then!!

It's quite heavy with all those clamps on!!

John (y)
Hi John...do you differentiate between cramps (not the human body type) and clamps? Those screw types were referred-to as 'cramps' when I was a lad. The ratchet types of the modern era were called clamps.

Cheap clamps usually have an acme thread which is rolled as opposed to machine cut as with the old Record clamps. You can buy 'Record Irwin' G clamps off the 'A' site and they seem as good as the original Records and a pleasure to use.
As for sash clamps you really need to tailor your work to your clamps. If its joinery nothing beats the Record although they are not made anymore. For light work like boxes you don't need heavy clamps - even 'F' clamps get very cumbersome and awkward. I use the 'Hatagane' Japanese clamps available from www.fine-tools.de and they are brilliant. Better to buy a few quality clamps at a time and you will avoid a collection of cheapo cheapo paperweights !

Last edited:
Back