Enlarging a hole, how?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLFaria

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to install two ball catches, of the kind used in cabinet doors, in through holes in a piece of soft pine.

The body of the ball catch is 12.2mm in diameter.
I only have 12mm drills (helical, brad-point and Forstner). I doubt I could find a drill bit in 12.2mm. 1/2 " might do, but anyway I would rather not buy a new bit of a size I most likely will not use again.

I tried enlarging the hole on a trial piece with a round file. This did it, but am not really happy about the results.

Any ideas on the best way (or some way other than a file...) of enlarging a hole from 12mm to 12.2mm diameter?

Thanks
G.

I'd get a 1/2" or 13mm Spade Flat Wood Drill Bit and grind the edges down slightly to make it 12.2mm.

They can be bought very cheaply and would only take a few minutes to modify.

Here's a cheap 13mm you could soon grind that down. Just make sure you do the sides equally.

http://tinyurl.com/k9uul3l] £1.29 inc postage.

If you really want the best finish possible, then just buy a HSS bit at 12.2 mm. The time you are going to spend modifying a spade bit is daft considering the small outlay that buying the right bit in the first place.

Regrind your 12mm drill with the web off centre and it will drill oversize.
You may have to have a couple of trials to get it spot on.

This is something often achieved without trying for someone new to hand sharpening of twist drills.
offcentredrill.jpg

Attachments

• offcentredrill.jpg
    offcentredrill.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 296
Soft pine, metal catch, hammer, job done :wink: :D

Pete

You could use a 12mm helical drill in a cordless but have it set to reverse reverse and go in and out of the hole until it is loose enough.

Or buy a 12.5mm drill bit.

Or use a technical adjustment tool for persuasion (hammer)

Or curse and buy a ball catch that is made to the correct size!

It seems surprising that the catch hasnt been made for either a standard metric 12.0mm or imperial 1/2" size (mind you it wouldn't be the first time!)

Thank you people, for all the advice.

I don't want to buy a new drill just for this job. The customer is me, or rather my 3 year old grandson. Although I prefer to make things the right way, sometimes I don´t mind being less than perfect 8).

I think I'll use the suggestion by phil.p - this reminds me I have a number of miniature drums for use with a Dremel clone. I don't like making this work free-hand (no 3D vision, trembling hands from medication), so I will put one of them on my drill press and see how it works. I'll let you know.

Just checked with my supplier, I can order a pack of 5, 12.2 mm drill bits for £3.90 including the vat. Would you like me to send you one?

I couldn't agree more, if you only have one hole to drill, and its in soft wood, and you don't need to get it out, just hit it, if not, buy a bit.

You could also make the hole slightly oversize and wrap something like gaffer tape around the catch to enlarge it to fit the hole.

phil.p":vvz3gpr3 said:
12.2mm is 0.2 oversized. 0.2mm is four thousandths of an inch on the radius - I can't help thinking hard work is being made of this.
I must agree. As I said before, I will try something along the lines you proposed.
However, I must say people are being really nice giving this many suggestions. And I always like discussing different ways of getting things done, some of them I always keep in my "mind store" just in case they may prove helpful in another occasion.

Thanks

G.

Screwfix do a 4-14mm cone drill that is excellent. used it to cut 12mmm holes for a bike sprocket I was making.

In the past I have used a half-round file, possibly with sand paper.

I found my smaller round file made the hole uneven, causing small shaped indentations, so I used a larger half round one by scraping around the inside, whilst following the shape, of the hole.

The larger size of the file prevented the creation of little divots.

Well, this did it fast and with a good finish.
It's from a kit I bought a couple years ago at LIDL which I had completely forgotten. Thank you, phil.p, it was your reply that reminded me of its existence :D

Attachments

• IMG_6157b.jpg
    IMG_6157b.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 12
Back