Enjoying UKW from the comfort of my own bed :D

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi!!

I bought a wireless router with modem built in today!

And i am now sat with my laptop with no wires or anything...

It is quit amazing really, i can access all my files from the main computer and the internet (of course) :p

So i would really reccomend it to anyone with a laptop...makes life a hell of alot easier :D

Ta

Tom

Must admit Tom, I have always dreamt of using the internet whilst on the, em, "throne".
Technology, huh?
Philly :oops:

OK Tom,
I'll be serious now what was the cost, source, and what distance does it operate from its base?

Are there any security problems with this equipment, can somebody sit outside your home in a motor car and sneak in?

There are many different makes and types of wireless access kit, available from all over the place.

For a wireless router and adsl modem combined, i'd expect to pay around £80 for an 802.11g model, and about £50 for 802.11b (the b is an older standard, with lower wireless transfer rates); these prices are only rough estimates - of course there are cheaper and more expensive models. Amazon, PC World, John Lewis - you name it, they sell the things!

You also need a wireless device on your computer - if you have centrino, then that should come built in. Alternatively, you can pick up USB, PCMCIA or PCI interfaces for the computer, at costs varying from the £20 mark up to £50 or 60.

I've had a wireless b network at home for a couple of years now - it's very useful, no trailing cables and the like.

Quoted range is something like 50m indoors, up to 300 outdoors, although this varies with building construction and the like.

Security can be quite good - these bits of kit can be set into 64 or 128 bit encryption modes, so for anyone to sit on your network, they need to know the encryption key. There are a couple of other simple methods to keep unwanted people off the network. I also understand there are a couple of new encryption rules in the offing, cos the current standard (WEP) isn't that secure - but it'll keep your neighbours out!

For info - wireless-b has a transfer rate of up to 11 Mb/s, and wireless-g 54 Mb/s - way more than you can get from a broadband connection, so unless you do a lot of file-sharing or whatever at home, the wireless b should be sufficient.

The quoted throughput cannot be achieved in practice ( on my b network, I get about 2.5 MBPS) and indeed, if you want to do file sharing or printing on network printers it would be useful to have the higher throughput g standard.

my 'b' network claims to have 11 Mb/s link speed, but i don't use filesharing cacpabilities, so can't confirm.

the 'b' standard is certainly good enough for me, although it's getting harder to find kit to that standard, since it's superceded by the 'g' standard.

I would recommend wireless kit anyway, if for nothing else than getting rid of unsightly wires all over the place

So if i put my desktop in a cupboard (switched on) I never need open the cupboard door, and then sit in my armchair and play everything on my laptop(dirty boys be quiet)

Hi All,
I've had a wireless routyer at work and home for quite some time-my one at home is a bit hit and miss. Something to do with the internal walls of your home. Newer homes have foil backed plasterboard which seriously interfeers with the wireless transmissions. At home I'm back to using a network cable-the modem being built into the router is great though-everyone at home can use the internet at the same time without having to set up complicated sharing or networking features.
give it a go-technology is great isn't it?
:roll: Philly :D

Well just upgraded to a laptop and wireless G and of course Windows XP.
How the hell I use to manage with that blue screen, frozen window and re-set button of Windows 98 beats me.

Wireless G is brilliant any room even been down the garden with it

Hi SP

Sawdust Producer":3rf80o9d said:
How the hell I use to manage with that blue screen, frozen window and re-set button of Windows 98 beats me.

It won't take you long and you'll really miss it. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Back