engineers, please help my brain!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a brain malfunction and cannot for the life of me find the correct words for the bits I wish to search for :?

I want to use the lathe as a disc sander, to be used for squaring up the likes of pen blanks and small bits of timber should i ever venture into Chas' mini segmented pots type of thing.
Simple enough i thought! faceplate, ply circle, self adhesive discs. sorted. but then how to get a 90 deg 'shelf'( possibly tiltable?) on which to sit the timber to be sanded.
can i purchase sections of metal or alloy plate with the T grooves in (for a slidey mitre fence thingy) that i can then affix to a shaft to utilise the existing tool rest banjo .(RP)
If i can what are the proper names for such items so i can hunt them down?
or does someone already make an affordable such thing already?

hi nev
just a quick thought - why does it need to be a metal shelf / table
would it not be easier to make a wooden / mdf one?
cheers
paul-c

nev":37el8zrg said:
....I want to use the lathe as a disc sander, .......or does someone already make an affordable such thing already?

You mean something like this..
DSCN3183 (Medium).JPG
DSCN3184 (Medium).JPG
DSCN3185 (Medium).JPG
DSCN3186 (Medium).JPG

Dragged out from the back of the cupboard, had forgotten all about it. A separate disc for each grit.

As an aside, sanding of segments to get perfect fit is not the all embracing solution it might first appear, far more accuracy is obtainable if you have your cutting method set up spot on, unless you are very careful or very lucky, trying to sand to a specific angle and trueness to a face can be a frustrating exercise.

Attachments

• DSCN3183 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3183 (Medium).JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 881
  • DSCN3184 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3184 (Medium).JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 909
  • DSCN3185 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3185 (Medium).JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 880
  • DSCN3186 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3186 (Medium).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 866
This is the best thing for ridigity a harrison sanding table fits graduate and jubilee lathes or others with 1" stem
its 18mm cast iron with a substantial swivel action
DSC02007Small.jpg

DSC02008Small.jpg

Now theres me trying to work out how to get it to tilt up and down and fix a moveable fence, and the solution is of course use a pivoting fence for the angles #-o
Simples when some one shows you innit :roll: Thanks Chas.

That sorby item is just the job but probably a little pricey

Paul- I just thought that metal may be a bit more rigid and therefore accurate.

flh - thats exactly the picture i had in my mind! you must be psychic!

Latest posts

Back