engine enamel / very high temperature paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this should be in the finishing section, but it isn't for woodwork...

can anyone recommend any brands, or flag any to be avoided? I'm after brush-on stuff, rather than aerosol.

And what temperatures can "normal" enamels withstand? I am going to paint (the outside only!) some vintage pans, so will "only" need to handle 250 degrees C.

Thanks

Halford do their own brand high temperature paint, claims to be OK to 300 C. Hammerite claim 600 for their ht paint but I think it only comes as a spray.

I'm sure others do as well, but Halfrauds can be handy if you live near one.

I think Sperex was the go-to brand when I last did serious engine fettling, but that was 40 years ago. People do odd things with their brake calipers these days, I bet there's a ht paint for that as well.

A long time ago I used hammerite for a similar job, I assume they still make it

VHT paint here (aerosol, though) claims to handle 1100F, which is probably alarmingly close to 600C. But again, at the local auto store it's only available in aerosol and they only have it in flat paint. Perhaps there's a reason for that.

Paragons only good to 170 c might be better with a stove enamel for wood burning stoves there good for about 400 degrees c

Attachments

• 20210816_205630.jpg
    20210816_205630.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210816_205638.jpg
    20210816_205638.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 6
when you say 250c, is that the temp that the pan may get to. I would expect that the gas flame would be hotter than that, but I dont know if brief, isolated heat would cause issues with the paint. if it is suitable for stoves then perhaps not.

Thanks all.
Stove enamel is a good shout, I hadn't thought of that - I blame my dad for raising me in breakers' yards... :)

If there is water in the pan then the temperature will not go significantly above 100 degrees C. The pan, being a good conductor, transfers heat to the water and remains the same temperature as the water inside it - maximum 100 degrees C.

My comment above about vht appears to be no good. I have a can for a deep fire pit exterior, but the reviews for the stuff suggest it doesn't survive on vehicle headers and becomes soft and stays that way. Don't know anyone who loves paint that becomes soft.

(one kind of humorous thing about the VHT paint is that it states that it will withstand temperatures of "1300F to 2000F")

Without immediately describing which one or why. That's sort of like someone saying "how much can you deadlift".

"I can deadlift 150KG to 225KG".

Which one is it?

"150KG to 225KG"

OK...what's your one rep max

"150KG to 225KG"

Last edited:
My comment above about vht appears to be no good. I have a can for a deep fire pit exterior, but the reviews for the stuff suggest it doesn't survive on vehicle headers and becomes soft and stays that way. Don't know anyone who loves paint that becomes soft.

(one kind of humorous thing about the VHT paint is that it states that it will withstand temperatures of "1300F to 2000F")

Without immediately describing which one or why. That's sort of like someone saying "how much can you deadlift".

"I can deadlift 150KG to 225KG".

Which one is it?

"150KG to 225KG"

OK...what's your one rep max

"150KG to 225KG"
TBF: The amount i can lift DOES depend upon how hot it is. ;)

TBF: The amount i can lift DOES depend upon how hot it is. ;)

I'm guessing since it's exhaust pipe paint there's probably a temperature and duration range - the longer, the lower it can handle. It's just funny the way it's printed on the can without any explanation - lost in detail between the engineers and the ad agency that created the label.

I'm sure there aren't many paints that would tolerate headers used on a water dyno.

I'm guessing since it's exhaust pipe paint there's probably a temperature and duration range - the longer, the lower it can handle. It's just funny the way it's printed on the can without any explanation - lost in detail between the engineers and the ad agency that created the label.

I'm sure there aren't many paints that would tolerate headers used on a water dyno.
TBH, I don't think even high temperature paints will tolerate an open flame, even if they *should* tolerate the temperature

I'll be able to report back how well this one does on the outside of a fire pit, but definitely won't be wasting it on the inside. IT's uncommon for me to get the sides of my firepit orange, and part of the reason for that is they have inlets forcing the air in and up. Everything else I've tried on it (including grill paint) is toast within a couple of fires and I'd just buy a new fire pit every year as cleaning the rust off of the outside to paint is an absolute filth making job, but the mrs. thinks it needs to look a certain way.

Latest posts

Back