End grain chopping board.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huddsgent

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd attempt making an end grain chopping board. I have quite a bit of mahogany and plenty of maple and so liked the idea of a brick pattern. I'm not sure if mahogany is a good wood for chopping boards; any advice welcome. Also, would there be a problem with the mahogany dust bleeding into the maple; again, any advice?

I can't comment on mahogany's suitability for chopping boards as I have never used it for that purpose (or recall anyone else).

However, I have combined mahogany and maple for various projects, including knife handles and picture frames. I have never noticed any bleed from one to the other.

Exactly what disco monkey7 said, the only bleeding effect I can think of would be caused by the mahogany dust from sanding getting into the glue. Very rarely use abrasive paper so I can’t comment. Ian
Ps, my worry would be that the mahogany and maple might expand and contract at different rates causing glueline failures.

id stear clear of the mahogany, its pores are too open for a decent food safe board. Stick with the usually suspects of Walnut, Maple, Beech or maybe Teak.

How are you planning to flatten each of the blocks? Do you have some water resistant and food safe glue too?

Performance wise straight Maple is going to be best. As has already been said the pores on mahoganies are too open.
Keep it simple and focus on getting tight joints and even spacings.

I am using Titebond III, which is food safe and waterproof. As for the mahogany, the advice came a little late, so fingers crossed, we'll see. As for flattening I have a drum sander and Mirka Deros.

Back