End bracket specs for record vices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pravido

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a few old record vices that I am restoring. They are missing the end brackets. Does anyone know where I could find specs for old record vices to have new ensmd braces cut on CNC machines?

Attachments

• IMG-20210826-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210826-WA0002.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 46
I think there have been several versions over the years. Cast and flat plate.
I don't know if they are interchangeable.
You have a good collection, so a bit of measuring should reveal all.

Bod

Hi,

Apologies for typo, should read as follows:
I bought a few old record vices that I am restoring. They are missing the end brackets. Does anyone know where I could find specs for old record vices to have new end brackets cut on CNC machines?

The end brackets are the small plates that connect the guide rods and vice screw. They hold the vice screw in place.

Thanks + have a great new year's eve.

Last edited:
Hi Bod,

You are quite correct, there have been quite a few- and the end brackets are not necessarily interchangeable. I will try and see if I can figure out the exact ones I have.

I thought about measuring, but from my experience. So far, if you dont get that end bracket accurate, it causes wracking and generally the vice does not work so well. Its pretty sensitive.

Thanks + have a great New year's eve!

I was thinking same, measure the distance at end of parallel bars the recessed bit and then get appropriate mild steel bar cut to length round ends drill 3 appropriate holes, washers and split pin done

You have 1 original on top row, 3rd from left to use as a template.
Remember the holes are not in a straight line.
I can see possibly only 2 proper Record vices, the other 4 look completely different to the norm??
Cheers Andy

The originals would have been like these admittedly neither is a record ones a parkinson and others a ward and payne but they're mote or less identical
20170916_131103.jpg
20170624_170713-1.jpg
20210513_055846.png

Last edited:
Hi,

I tried the original and it does not fit the others. I was thinking the others are difgerent makes but I checked and it does not seem they are record vices at all... I guess would be difficult to find the specs in that case. Guess I will have to measure and do a bit of trial and error.

Thanks all + happy new year!

Managed to get something that works via trial and error. Just need to transfer it to steel and I am A for away.

Thanks again all and Happy new year, all the best for 2022!

Attachments

• 20220101_145815.jpg
    20220101_145815.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 12
The great think is the template works on the smaller non-record vicesaswell. All in all, I have 3 of the larger non-record vices (1 is missing the half nut device), 3 of the smaller non-record vices ( all of the non-record vices are missing the end brackets), 3 of the smaller record vices and 1 large record vice, all of which are complete and functioning for the most part.

Back