En-suite - sequence of work/questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
It's probably two years since I picked up a tiling trowel. This en-suite was prepped...I had it all straight in my head but that was then. This is now!

Can anyone please advise on a few questions ?

Shower tray. Does that go down onto the plywood floor or does it go down on top of the tiles. I suspect the former.

So, is it bedded in using a mix of cement ? What sort of mix ?

TIA

On my suspended floor I took off the floorboards under the shower tray footprint and then screwed battens to the joists so I could insert pieces of 18mm ply flush with the top of the joists. This gave me a solid base 22mm below the floor level. I then bedded the tray on a layer of mortar on the ply/joists. There are lots of helpful vids on YouTube.

Sorry Roger, missed your last little query. If I remember correctly, I think the mix was a bricklaying mortar, ie 4:1 with a bit of plasticiser.

The tray manufacturer will have given instructions for the type of bedding, and in addition to mortar as described above some also allow tile adhesive to be used. Obviously, the very first thing you need to sort out is the drain. You should be tiling onto a tile backer board (Hardi-backer, for instance), not onto a plastered wall, particularly if it is a studwork partition wall.

Hi Roger,
It might be worth putting a decoupling matt down first, I use Dural durabase.
It gives an extra layer of protection especially when tiling onto wooden / ply floors.
If your contemplating installing a heated flooring wire as well the matting makes it so much easier.

Roger, I’ve revisited my records and find that the board I used was not Orbry but Marmox. I would definitely recommend it over hardiebacker, easier to handle and cut. If you go that route you need the special fixing washers.

Hi Roger,
It gives an extra layer of protection especially when tiling onto wooden / ply floors.
If your contemplating installing a heated flooring wire as well the matting makes it so much easier.

What Mike said re drain, floor and mortar bedding. I also had a product recommended to me by a plumber mate, who has installed many ensuites. It is a piece of self-adhesive tape, rather like 4mm thick inner tube, about 70mm wide, that wraps around the shower tray, vertically, around its perimeter, on the wall side(s), pre-installation. The first tile or cubicle board overlaps it on the shower tray side. This directs water back into the tray, should it leak through imperfect grout or porous board sealing. Saves water running down between shower tray and wall...bloody awful to rectify. Sorry, cannot remember product name.
Sam

MikeG.":33w0sfso said:
The tray manufacturer will have given instructions for the type of bedding, and in addition to mortar as described above some also allow tile adhesive to be used. Obviously, the very first thing you need to sort out is the drain. You should be tiling onto a tile backer board (Hardi-backer, for instance), not onto a plastered wall, particularly if it is a studwork partition wall.

Thank Mike. That's already in place. Not tiling all the wall or a the way to the ceiling.

Homers double":2awnjklq said:
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Marineboy":3cqd7qfd said:
Roger, I’ve revisited my records and find that the board I used was not Orbry but Marmox. I would definitely recommend it over hardiebacker, easier to handle and cut. If you go that route you need the special fixing washers.

Many thanks, MB I agree with you re hardibacker. Loathe the stuff.

SammyQ":18u696q5 said:
What Mike said re drain, floor and mortar bedding. I also had a product recommended to me by a plumber mate, who has installed many ensuites. It is a piece of self-adhesive tape, rather like 4mm thick inner tube, about 70mm wide, that wraps around the shower tray, vertically, around its perimeter, on the wall side(s), pre-installation. The first tile or cubicle board overlaps it on the shower tray side. This directs water back into the tray, should it leak through imperfect grout or porous board sealing. Saves water running down between shower tray and wall...bloody awful to rectify. Sorry, cannot remember product name.
Sam

I know the stuff, Sam, but the shower tray has an upstand and so not so essential.

Back