En/decoding box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wend

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally got this finished!
DSC_7726.jpg

It translates between braille, morse code, semaphore and binary.

Probably the hardest and most time consuming part was just getting all the wood planed flat and square. Here's the top with the hole layout punched.
DSC_7186.jpg

116 7mm holes for the LEDs and buttons on the top (fortunately both wanted the same size, which eliminates a whole lot of potential mistakes. Still pretty nerve wracking knowing that one hole in the wrong place takes me back to square one)...
DSC_7254.jpg

...with the backs widened with a forstner bit to accommodate the components.
DSC_7255.jpg

Some pyrography finishes off the top.
DSC_7259.jpg

Sides dovetailed together. They're currently far too tall, as I wasn't sure how tall I needed so I just made sure to overshoot.
DSC_7479.jpg

Some components are very close to the edge, so needed some space chiselled out for them to fit into.
DSC_7636.jpg

Finally, just wire it all up!
DSC_7737.jpg

Finally, glue the top to the sides. I only put glue on about an inch on the short sides, so the top is free to shrink or expand; hopefully those couple of inches will be enough to hold it together!
DSC_7726.jpg

Many thanks everyone for all the advice over the last year and more; I'm sure I wouldn't have got there without you!

Attachments

• DSC_7726.jpg
    DSC_7726.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC_7186.jpg
    DSC_7186.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 538
  • DSC_7254.jpg
    DSC_7254.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC_7255.jpg
    DSC_7255.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC_7259.jpg
    DSC_7259.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC_7479.jpg
    DSC_7479.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 537
  • DSC_7636.jpg
    DSC_7636.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC_7737.jpg
    DSC_7737.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 518

Of course it does. What an astonishingly useful box! Why haven't I got one?

Can we see it in action, please?

Also the pyrography - is that just freehand? If so, you're not a doctor,are you! I couldn't possibly manage anything as well-spaced and even, but then I am barely literate. Is there a trick to it?

A nice project.
I had to learn morse and semaphore to get qualified in the merchant navy but they both seem to have gone by the wayside now. They were skills that you had to keep practicing or they got rusty very quick. A box like that would have been a good practice tool. I only ever did semaphore for the exam but morse still got the odd bit of use through to about the late 70tes.
Regards
John

Trainee neophyte":ddaj89r5 said:

Of course it does. What an astonishingly useful box! Why haven't I got one?

If you knew how long it had taken, you'd know :)

Can we see it in action, please?

I'm afraid I don't know how to put videos on here, sorry.

Also the pyrography - is that just freehand? If so, you're not a doctor,are you! I couldn't possibly manage anything as well-spaced and even, but then I am barely literate. Is there a trick to it?

The trick is low-res photos! Although sanding to 1000 grit definitely helped the iron not trip over the grain as much.

Latest posts

Back