Emulsion paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
Hi all, apparently it is decorating time again, but unfortunately Laura Ashley have stopped making emulsion paint. A shame as the paint was really easy to apply and the pastel shades suited us.
What other paint brands should we look at? I tried some of the big names from the local Jewson but thought them very inferior quality and poor choice of colour.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks and a happy new year to all.

Turns out it was decorating time for us as well this weekend. Well according to my wife anyway. We/she chose some colours on Friday and went to buy them only to discover the colours were not in stock. We tend to like the Farrow and Ball colours and they do go on well. She came back with Dulux heritage paint in similar colours and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it went on. I have avoided the mainstream brands in the past. I could have got away with just a single coat of the dark teal over an originally white wall but did go for a second coat. I only did a single coat of the Swedish White she bought for the other walls.

I get on well with Johnstons paints, and of course they can mix up any colour that little Green and Farrow and Ball etc etc do. I found Farrow and Ball particularly difficult to apply last time I used any of theirs. Ian

For primers and white emulsion, Johnstons or Leyland. For wall emulsions it's Farrow & Ball and the woodwork Farrow & Ball water based eggshell. I've heard good reports on Fired Earth as coverage is excellent. I've learnt t's not worth buying cheap paint as you need more coats.

Colin

ps - keep an eye out for 3 for price of 2 of F&B at Homebase. When refurbing the bungalow we would buy up on the offer.

Thanks for those suggestions - since we live in the back end of nowhere I will be shopping online. We have a jewson here and an unimpressive local paint shop.....

Boring, but I’ve just done a couple of rooms using Dulux Trade Acrylic in place of emulsion. Very impressed.

Johnstones. Available online - Buy Paint - Order Interior & Exterior Paint Online From Johnstone's

Dulux Trade if you have deep pockets - otherwise "normal" Dulux - Trade seems to be a little better than "normal" Dulux for a lot more money - see the Skillbuilder Youtube tests.

I avoid Farrow and Ball - I find it covers badly so budget 50% extra for an additional coat - it trades on its yuppie reputation and daft colour names.

Farrow and Ball was a Crown paints owned company, but sold last year to Hempel.

It's hard to know sometimes if these "stylish" brands are independent or just subsidiaries of big brands.
I wonder how different it was to crown emulsions, other than few different colours in its range.

"Conspiracy Theorists Dream Situation" 🤣

For years now I have used Dulux Trade from my local builders merchant, variety of finishes, mostly matt, all have been fine. I use the colour mixing method, and keep a spreadsheet by room, quantity needed and dulux colour code. It's never out of stock and very easy to buy again if you need touch up or need more to finish the job.

When we moved in, I bought a conventional named colour for a big room, needed more and found it no longer available. New season sir, they always change them. Never again.

I rarely need 2 coats, only if it's a significant change in colour like dark to light.

When you look at the total spend on a room, especially if you are changing carpets or furniture, plus the time and other materials, spending a bit extra on decent paint isn't a big issue.

(F&B isn't independent, owned by multinational Hempel afik)

Avoid Dulux, but Johnstones is really good and covers well but with any paint do not expect miracles if you are trying to go over badly stained surfaces, then give it a coat of Zinnser first. Another brand that I have used is Permaglaze, not sure if they are still around though.

Last edited:
Farrow and ball is good for lime plaster, but i dont rate it for normal dec jobs. I use dulux trade, its got more pigments in it so covers better...... which saves money because labour is more expensive than paint. And if you get a dulux trade account, trade paint isnt that much more. I do like diamond finish for being properly cleanable, but that IS more money. I have used johnstones, no complaints

Id wanted to use Dulux trade diamond satin to paint spindles and rails on the stairs. They have been brown for the last twenty years , we moved in two years ago and missed decorating them last year due do a clubhouse refurbishment.
id orders the dulux diamond from Wickes At £45 (-10%trade) went to collect and they couldn’t find it. Ended up using Johnstone’s aqua acrylic. Really impressed with the opacity of the under coats and top coats. It did take two coats of each, but I was expecting that to get perfect coverage. Lays on well and leaves no brush marks or drips.
7AAEACB8-ACB9-4987-8006-B8313A29A4EE.jpeg
FD888542-CD57-4541-A257-CCAB748ECAA3.jpeg
287B0415-86D8-48AA-9590-8CB38D6A76E2.jpeg
8BFDA165-FD4F-4D7D-B594-2F4FFBB73686.jpeg

walls white coated ready for top coat.

I'm lucky to have a proper little traditional family run decorating shop near me, they are really helpful and knowledgeable. I used some Johnstone's emulsion from them this weekend (mixed to F&B Pigeon).

I find the Johnstone's emulsion good but they do say that in their opinion Little Greene is the best paint.

Crown clean extreme wipeable matt.
I did my house in so called durable Dulux trade but it wasn`t durable or wipeable at all really. So we re did the hallway with the Crown after a lot of research, its great stuff and you can actually wipe it without destroying the texture unlike many ( important due to primary aged kids ).
It is thinner than many but goes on very well.
I paid about what the above post suggests for 10 litres not 5. That little green is just madness at that price.

Ollie

Back