employing someone to go to the tip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
These days I have someone who deals with my hedges and small trees on my garden plot, can he take the waste to our local tip or does he have to have a license these days to carry waste, does anyone know the rules these days?

Depends on how he transports it. Back of a car, usually no problem.
Trailer or van he will need a permit, usually 12 trips a year here.
If it's a sign written van they may not allow him to tip.

Different councils can have different rules so Google yours and they should tell you what the local rules are.

The rules seem a bit fluid; I think currently he needs a waste carriers licence, but these are free (at the moment!) so the only hassle is applying for one.
The 12 loads a year rule mentioned above is a different thing entirely - designed to restrict trade dumping at household sites.
Best to check with the Environment Agency exactly how the rules stand .

Thanks for the replies above, I will have to check with Torbay council it seems each time a see an advert for handyman gardener etc.

There's two different answers above, what he needs and what he can get away with.

He needs a license to carry waste, but that's separate to the tip's own requirements. The tips round here are very generous to householders, but they wouldn't allow your professional gardner to use them. Your Council will have it's own policy, but it's unlikely that many allow professionals to use the tips even if the waste is ostensibly residential.

It's a grey area at what point the waste becomes commercial, there's a risk that getting a professional involved at all would preclude you then taking the waste to the tip yourself. The legal arguments here will be very nuanced and could probably be mitigated with the right contract.

Perhaps if the householder accompanies the workman does that mean the householder should be entitled to free tip is own rubbish

doubtful.

legally it is the business carrying the waste, so the householder accompanying the workman makes no difference.
"getting away with it", certainly local to me it is based on the vehicle- trailers and vans need a permit, and (I think) sign written vans are classed as commercial waste regardless.

Can you not feed it into a garden waste bin over a few collections?

eezageeza":2iqns291 said:
The rules seem a bit fluid; I think currently he needs a waste carriers licence, but these are free (at the moment!) so the only hassle is applying for one.
I looked into this seven or eight years ago. Here the licence was £149 (iirc) for three years then.
And that of course doesn't get you into the dump.

If at all possible go and have a chat with them at the Tip
Last year I dismantled a part asbestos garage on deceased friends property
As it was 24 bags of asbestos they wanted to inspect it to confirm that it was bagged correctly and not trade waste

No one at the house when the Lady Inspector called
So she climbed over the 5 ft high gate to have a look

I got the all clear and got shut smartly :)

No charge by the way :D

the question was about a waste carriers license, not access to the local tip. they are completely different issues.

...These days I have someone who deals with my hedges and small trees...does he have to have a license these days to carry waste...

without a license he cat take it anywhere, but I accept the point.

phil.p":2g69n87u said:
eezageeza":2g69n87u said:
I looked into this seven or eight years ago. Here the licence was £149 (iirc) for three years then.
And that of course doesn't get you into the dump.
I think currently the licence is free for green waste only. There's a fee for a licence to transport any other type of waste.
But you're right, the licence only allows you to transport the waste legally, there'll be a separate charge at the tip for dropping commercial waste.

I live on the borders of Hertfordshire and Essex. So close in fact that although my address is listed as Herts, Essex empty my bins.
Herts local tip wouldn't even allow me to queue up in my workvan. It is plastered with company logos in the 'more is better school of advertising' . #-o
A little fat chap came running up all breathless in his hi-vis lol. I'm not kidding.
No commercial business 'ere mate.
It's from my house bud.
How do I know that? Eh?!?
It's household and garden waste pal, Mrs had a clearout.
It might still be commercial mightn't it?
From a window cleaning company?!?
He started to gibbon on so I just pulled out the queue (Opps sorry mate! Nearly! Careful there, nearly knocked you over. My bad tubbs. Gave him my best smile). Drove to the Essex dump. Equidistant from my house.
I approached warily, I'd like to say like the Comanche watching on horseback from a distant hilltop. But it's Essex, they don't do hills.
Even got out the van and approached on foot.
Chalk and cheese. Quick question if it was commercial waste, obviously not, no problems.
I can send off a form to Herts, to give me a ltd amount of dump runs in a commercial vehicle doing domestic waste. I never bothered, I just feed the bins slowly with tile waste over a few weeks if I do the bathroom etc.

It's not the type of waste that matters it's how you came about it
If it is arrisings from your main job like a gardener with grass cuttings or a dry liner with plasterboard offcuts the license is free
If you are being paid to remove the waste like a skip company or house clearance company then it will cost you
Some grey areas such as logs and woodchip as they could be considered waste or a saleable product

Our local tip doesn't allow vehicles with dual or more axle trailers attached to enter the tip, I've seen people been rejected, reverse back out of the tip, take two tyres off the trailer and just drive straight back in A-OK.

Bureaucracy at it's finest...

Our tips aren't too bad, but I just put everything in the brown bin. At the tip they sometimes get nosey about whats in bags etc so I just avoid it whenever I can now. Recip saw is your friend, you would be surprised at how much you can cram into a brown bin :lol:

Back