employing someone to go to the tip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things might have changed now but a few years ago I had a major row with the environment agency over exactly this subject.
I received a very official letter stating that my business ( small construction company ) was subject to either a waste management or waste carrier regulation and required a 3 year licence at £150.

I phoned them and conversation went like this:

" Why do I need a licence? "
" Because you're a builder "

" I always hire and use a skip, don't transport it so pay the skip hire company to do so "
" In that case you're a waste manager, you need to send a cheque for £150 immediately "

" No I'm not, that's what I pay the hire company for "
" Yes you are, you can give me your credit card details now if you wish "

" No I don't wish and will not "
" Then you are likely to get a summons "

" Then sue me you stupid woman, I won't pay. What is the name of your director? "
" I'm not allowed to tell you that "

" Ok will find it myself and write. Out of interest where did you get my business details? "
" Oh we're working through the local authority list of registered businesses "

At that point I hung up in case I said something I shouldn't and wrote a very strongly worded letter - never heard another thing, they didn't even reply.
The tactics used were clearly to bully every company they could find into paying up and of course once paid they're going to get you again every 3 years.

Since 2015 our local authority has charged residents by the bag or load for items like plasterboard, rubble and soil etc. which is a major reason for hugely increased instances of fly tipping.
" Soil, rubble and plasterboard will all be subject to a £2 per bag/sheet charge - with charges of £12 for a load in a standard car/hatchback; £20 in a small trailer/estate car/small van; £40 in a longer trailer and £80 in a transit van. Users of vans, trailers and commercial vehicles will also need a permit.
The specific types of waste that the charges refer to include ceramic pipes; bricks and breeze blocks; concrete and paving slabs; gravel, stone, sand and soil; rubble hard core and tarmac; plasterboard; and tiles and slates. "

Back