embroidery box with 13 drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Started a new embroidery box although uncompleted I am posting progress of the project and will continue if any interest shewn.

The previous 5 drawer box was soon filled by the LOML:

embroider1.jpg

So commencing a new box with 13 drawers as per sketch and drawer cutting list. The frames are going to be laminated this time of mahagany and sycamore.

cuttinglistresizedw.jpg

I spent a couple of sessions around 3 hours each preparing the timber pieces to all the same dimensions required (52 pieces). Doing it his way avoids resetting of machienery for each different dimension.

drawerbox13w.jpg

Work has now started on the back end of drawers using through dovetails and three drawers have been jointed.

drawerbox2w.jpg

Only another 80 dovetails to go.

I have knocked up a simple jig for cutting the tails on my bandsaw and if interested I can post a picture of same next time.

I don't really understand how you are doing it.....but I like it.....Your wife is one lucky lady....Will enjoy watching the pieces come together...
Lin

Waka the pins are cut entirely by hand with one of those japanese saws. the tails I knocked up the jig as per picture, you just slide the timber into your bandsaw (that you sold me) blade (14teeth) using the mdf guide to keep the angle sweet. The two outside edges are cut using the mitre fence with a stop attached, finally I chop all shoulders tails and pins using the jig that David Cohen of Perth Aus. posted sometime ago.

tailjig.jpg

7 drawers backs now completed.
7drawers.jpg

Looks like you've really got a system working :)

Please continue to post updates - I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed.

DW,

Do me a favour and slow down, would ya? If TPTBs see your rate of project completion I'm in deep doodah... 8-[

Cheers, Alf

mahking51":34bbxrr6 said:
Alf
Sssshh!
Don't utter the secret password d*****, who knows what might happen... :)
Martin
:roll: It doesn't work without the hyphen. [-X Although how you're supposed to pronounce the hyphen is another matter... :-k :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Progress report :)

13drawerbacksw.jpg

rear drawer dovetails completed (through dovetails) clamps on two pins for running repairs, I must have cut on the wrong side of the waste line.

Estimated time was around 17 hours. Therefore front lap dovetails might make 20 hours?

Whooa, easy tiger, the number of projects you are turning out is putting the rest of us to shame! :oops:

Looks great!

Adam

Actually I have created a real tiger, I have suddenly realized that if the original case rests on the left hand side of the room and the new 13 drawer sits in the centre, I shall need another 5 drawer cabinet to balance the setup.

Progress report.

Bad day, I have made a boo boo. The top three drawers require a lid to close off the cabinet and I have not made the top dovetail pins meaty enough. So spent some of the day putting that matter right.

Good job I don't do this for a living.

Another progress report

4 drawers joints completed.

4boxesw.jpg

A jig to mark up the pins with my modification added of a side panel to assist the setting up of timber at plumb sides. The hardboard has been added to enable alignment.

jig2w.jpg

Another pic showing working the jig.

jigw.jpg

last picture showing the make up of piece.

jig3w.jpg

Finally I now realise what the SAD effect is, I went out to the workshop a few minutes ago and it hit me. The damp, the wind and the poor light. :(
Putting the heating on and making the coffee in a mo.

By the way Mrs. dw is keeping herself busy working on this:

kingfisher1w.jpg

The only problem is, we have discussions who is going to prepare lunch today or dinner :)

devonwoody":2yjarkej said:
:(
Putting the heating on and making the coffee in a mo.

2 workshop nessestrys :D it looks like Mrs dw has a gift as well.

thank god for ready meals :roll: :x

martyn

Back