embroidery box with 13 drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joints on all 13 drawers now complete, preparing timber for 13 bases.
This is around 30 pieces of 7mm thicknesses sycamore Plus another 5 7mm thick pieces for the lids.
So not having anything to report for awhile from today.

13 drawers:

aaea3ace.jpg

DW nice work and from Mrs DW too.

Just how many embroidery boxes does a girl need?

Andy

Moved into the kitchen to do a bit of glueing up (going cold at night in the workshop for glue to mature). Sycamore reduce down to 7mm thickness for bases of drawers. I will cut board to sizes required after 24 hours.

bases2w.jpg

The wife has had a busy week on her kingfisher, I estimate there is another 10 days work involved on her kingfisher, it almost like a race down here.

kingfisher2w.jpg

Had a good day yesterday cut approx 120 ft of 7mm strips mahogany and 60ft of 7mm sycamore strips to make the laminated frames.

laminate1w.jpg

Then in the evening promoted myself to the kitchen, where its warmer and whilst the lady was busy wathcing the tv screen I glued up the laminates in three sessions.

laminate2w.jpg

Later in the evening I found my eye was bloodshot, which I assume was caused by timber dust.

Devon,

Sorry to hear about your blood shot eye, maybe if you slowed production down these problems would not arise. :wink:

Nice work, I think this set of draws will out shine your last set, you may be setting yourself a standard thats hard to maintain. :shock:

The Misses made better progress than me over the weekend:

king3w.jpg

However I did get the drawer runner strips sawn, using teak I have had stored for over three years, I have been frightened to use it in case it got wasted etc.

runnersw.jpg

Got down to the serious business of gluing up the boxes yesterday and got all 13 boxes glued before bedtime. Also can report that boxes stacked squarely so looks like none are going to have to be remade.

The first picture taken in the workshop during the afternoon session before temperatures dropped and the second picture back in the warmth of the kitchen for the evening session. The adhesive used is in the first photo and i like the way its possible to control the glue extrusion with these bottles, then a little paddle around with the artistist palette finishes up the job.

boxesglued1w.jpg

boxesglued2w.jpg

Decided to set the bases into boxes with supports and not dadoing the insides owing to the 8 small drawers only being 4 inches in width and I didn't want the hazardous work set up for such sizes.
I did this also with the original 5 drawer box so quite happy with the arrangement.

Yesterday I tidied up the bases for the larger drawers and made sure they all dropped in, also internal sanding of pencil marks was cleaned up. Later, 5 mm strips were cut to act as supports and glued into position as per photograph , again done in the evening in the warmth of the kitchen.

basestripsw.jpg

In passing I would mention that I was able to use my P/T (jointer/planer) SIP and plane down to a thickness of 5mm. This I found quite surprising as I believe the manuals for these machines doesn't specify down to this level. Perhaps it was because of the timber species (sycamore) which I know has easy planing qualities. The 5mm boards were then run through the bandsaw to produce 5mm square strips with allowance for sanding to clean up bandsaw scratching.
Tomorrow I should have the pleasure of doing the 8 smaller drawers a repeat of todays efforts.
Thoughts are also turning on how to cut the runner slots in the frames which carry the drawers, last time this was very fraught with stress owing to exact dimensions being required, this occassion there are 8 more drawers to accommodate so thinking of making a jig with removealble spacers and also inserting a different blade into the table saw which has a smaller kerf. Then I would make the drawer slots with the larger kerf blade and hopefully this will make life easier.

Returned to the 8 small boxes and decided to tune up my biceps, finger and wrist muscles with a bit of hand work. The Record plane on the bench is approaching 50 years of age and I must have sharpened it at least 6 times over all those years, in fact, it has never been reground. As you can see I have a nice little pile of shavings and never fallen for the trick of wearing my blades out with those expensive sharpening stones.
smallbasesw.jpg

The base boards have now all been prepared to size and base strips are being fitted as per this photograph, these mitres were all cut by eye and using a japanese pull saw plus sometimes a tidy up with a chisel. Who can spot my latest tool aquisition?
basestripssw.jpg

Final picture shows the eight boxes awaiting set of glue. No homework tonight in the kitchen.
Now have the task of cleaning up the external sides of all boxes ready for the framing to be commenced shortly.

stripsw.jpg

Drawer construction has now almost been completed, handles and drawer runner slots should be the only requirements to finish. I estimate that there were over 72 feet of strips cut and fitted to hold the bases in place.

drawerbox12w.jpg

Work has now started on the laminated frames which were cleaned up yesterday and some marking out for joints has started.

Must be approaching 2 weeks since starting this piece of furiture and looking forward to the final run up. Thank you for staying with me for so long.

DW

Starting to look good, can I ask you about the drawer bases, do they fit into a rebate or just held in place with the mitred strips that you have glued on, hard to see from the pic's.

Waka":1n9a4uvi said:
DW

Starting to look good, can I ask you about the drawer bases, do they fit into a rebate or just held in place with the mitred strips that you have glued on, hard to see from the pic's.

Waka, no rebate, strips under base and inside drawer. This was done on the original 5 drawer box and there have been no problems. I leave around 1mm clearance and the base can float. The weather we have had lately in my opion means that the bases will not expand any further but might shrink with dryer weather around.

Marking up underway.
markupw.jpg

Then I got that English depression feeling, caused by the weather.

weatherwfirst.jpg

So started to feed our furry friends and wished I had a fur coat like him.
lovelyweather2w.jpg

I cut a few tenons on the tablesaw and chopped four mortices by hand at 6mm width because my router bit is imperial 1/4" and laminates had been done at 6mm each.

lovelywetherw.jpg

The weather got so drafty here in the workshop I decided to go in and start drawing up the next project. I have found a 4ft long space in the hall which would take a dresser. The type with doors below and a glass display case above.

What a difference a day makes, blue skies.

bluesky.jpg

Did some more framing and had a boo boo, I have had to glue on some meat to one of the tenon cheeks, must have cut the wrong side of the line.

tenon1.jpg

However final picture today shews framing progress coming on, (around a third of the way on framing joints)

framing1.jpg

The end draws near John, at the speed you are going the hall cabinet will be in situ by Christmas.

With your move to batch production methods people will be expecting multiple copies of future projects. (kit production maybe :wink: :lol: )

I can see why you did not have time for tools 2005; you are performing at optimum without any new additions.

Bad day yesterday, the printer broke down see another thread. In addition one of the laminated frames I was working on, chopping a mortice by hand decided to delaminate on the last chopping cut. The glue line has failed right down the lamination.
splitlaminationw.jpg

So it was back to the kitchen again in the evening with a reglue.

repairlaminationw.jpg

I estimate that around 14ft of framing has now been finished, and around another 9ft of framing to construct to travel the front to rear set up so past the half way mark.

Latest posts

Back