EMAIL SCAM ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx2man

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Has anyone encountered this when selling on the net?

Person in Spain,Nigeria and Australia emailed
I would like to buy your guitar, but would need
your trust. Someone in the UK owes me £5500. They
are happy to send you a cheque for £5500,you then
bank the cheque,keep £700 for the guitar and send the
rest to me via Western Union.
I will arrange shipping, plus, i'll give you an extra
£100 for your trouble.
Please send me your name,address and phone no.

Could this possibly be a money laundering/tax scam :roll:
or worse? :twisted: :shock:

TX

We get a lot of those types of letters here in SA addressed to companies from some "business man" / "Banker" etc. all from Nigeria. not laundering, just trying to get you to part with your money. think its called a "69" or something. :D :D

If it's too good to be true - it is always a scam!

It's a "419" scam so called after section 419 of the Nigerian penal code covering fraud.

It seems a bit different to the usual Nigerian scam. Usually they are asking you to part with money, send bank details before they will send you any money. This one though seems to be trusting you with a fair amount of money of which you get a slice. My guess is that it's money laundering.
Other thing to point out is that if it is money laundering and you have any suspicions about it, then under new regualtions you are personaly obliged to report it and failure to do so can mean a large fine or up to 5 years in jail.
If you did go along with the offer then you would also be guilty of money laundering. If a large sum of money hits your bank account and then a large amount comes out, you will be reported and maybe investigated. In this case you would be in serious trouble. :shock:

Edited to add:

Forward it to a relevant ebay contact such as [email protected] then you have discharged your obligations to report it and are in the clear.

Hi all

I had an email about this recently. They send you a cheque drawn on an obscure bank that takes longer than normal to clear and in the meantime they're chasing you to pay them their money.

After four days your bank will tell you that it all seems ok so send the money. A day or two later and suddenly the cheque isn't honoured, by which time you have lost your money.

Keep well away.

Cheers
Neil

I would like to buy your guitar, but would need
your trust. Someone in the UK owes me £5500. They
are happy to send you a cheque for £5500,you then
bank the cheque,keep £700 for the guitar and send the
rest to me via Western Union.
I will arrange shipping, plus, i'll give you an extra
£100 for your trouble.
Please send me your name,address and phone no.
My friend nearly got caught like this selling his old motorbike to someone in SA he put the cheque in the bank next thing CID at the door .The cheque was from a stolen cheque book in the UK :shock:

Latest posts

Back