Email problems on iphone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
Haven't been receiving emails on my iphone 4s since yesterday afternoon.

It tries to connect and after a while says "Cannot get mail. The mail server imap.tools.sky.com is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings."

I'm pretty sure I haven't changed any of the mail settings though, it's possible I may have done so inadvertently as I was playing with the wi-fi settings and a few other things, but having checked them through they look fine as far as I can tell and I definitely didn't change the account info in the Mail settings.

I've got wi-fi and O2 connectivity okay.

Any more IT literate people than me got any idea what to do next ?!!!

Cheers, Paul

Check your IMAP settings - specifically the PORT and SSL settings.

From what I can see you can only connect to imap.tools.sky.com using SSL on port 993

Yep, it's using SSL on Server Port 993.

It was all working before and I don't recall changing anything to do with the mail settings which is what is puzzling me.

I tried a restart of the iphone just now and bingo, got a bunch of emails through !!! Don't know if that has sorted it completely, will have to wait and see when another email comes through I guess....

Cheers, Paul

I've had that problem a couple of times generally when reception is poor.
Seems to clear up by itself?

Rod

I've had my iphone fail to get mail and normally rebooting the phone sorts it out. Not sure why it happens but if you don't switch off you phone that often (which I guess we don't. I just put it in airplane mode at night) then doing so (rebooting) seems to sort issues.

Same happens if you download an app and it's crashing. Normally a reboot sorts it out.

Seems to be working okay now :)

The old IT thing of switch it off and on again is under rated !!!

Thanks all.

Cheers, Paul

paulm":1rvon123 said:
Seems to be working okay now :)

The old IT thing of switch it off and on again is under rated !!!

Thanks all.

Cheers, Paul
Re-booting the 'puter seems to work well. On my IMac I lost the 'whooshing' sound when an email was sent :( :( and it hadn't picked up any software upgrades...a quick 'restart' and it was all sorted - Rob

The phone has been working fine for ages now until I actually got around to letting it update the operating system software to the recent ios 6.0.1 version yesterday.

I had heard of people having problems with it when it came out in November so held off thinking any problems might be sorted out in the meantime.

Since updating it though I'm not getting incoming emails again, really annoying !

Wifi is connected fine and I can send emails but not receive them, it gives the same error message as in my first post above. I've checked all the mail settings and they are correct (as they should be as I didn't change them !), and have tried switching off and on again a few times, and also reset all the network connections and then reconnected to the home wifi network, but all to no avail :evil:

Anybody else had the same problem after upgrading the operating system ?

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul I've had no problems with the latest upgrade in fact it's seemed to improve the battery loss issue?
One thing I've noticed is that when I'm out and about and no WiFi available and it's set to "WiFi on", I cannot access sites always via 3G - but when I switch WiFi off 3G works fine?

Rod

A bit more googling eventually came up with deleting my email account on the iphone and then setting it up again, worked after that even though the settings were all exactly the same !

Cheers, Paul

Not with these new fangled cordless 'phone things but do they have a cache of received items that needs a manual delete now and again to empty them?

Back