Email oddity - help?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine...

Okay, who are we kidding here. It's me. 8-[ Well anyway, I keep getting an odd occurence where sending an email via Outlook Express results in the recipient getting no text from me, although the previous text from earlier messages in the correspondence get through fine. In my sent items folder it all appears to have gone okay, and it only happens sometimes. I can't decern a pattern, but maybe if I knew what to look for... Have I done something silly, or isn't it me at all? Or what? Any advice or ideas on this would be welcomed. If it's OE, recommendations for an alternative will be gladly received too.

Cheers, Alf

Alf

Are you saying that you have an email thread of, say, 5 emails annd when you reply your reply is mssing but the others are still there? Did I understand you correctly?

Re other email programs...Thunderbird from Mozilla.org gets good reviews, I hear

Roger

Alf,

Can't help with your OE problem I am afraid. I switched to Thunderbird a year or so ago - mainly for it's better address book. It has performed just fine and is good at catching spm if that is a problem for you.

Alf Do you send e-mails in plain text or HTML?

Are/is the recipients machines/software blocking HTML as a security risk?

Edit: I have had instances when a reply came back switched to HTML and subsequent replies got out of kilter.

Roger, yep, that's it.

Chas, well I always send in plain text, but if it's a reply to someone else's HTML email then it might get sent like that. But then if they can send HTML, I would have thought they could receive it? No? Hmm, I'll try knobbling the rich text every time and see if that helps.

So Thundebird then? Right ho, I'll take a look. I must say I've found switching to Firefox has been a real improvement, so beats me why it never dawned on me to try it anyway... #-o

Thanks for the help, chaps. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

If your evaluating browsers then March 05 PCW had a review of them.

Conclusions briefly was:-

1) Opera 7.54. PRO: Came out top due to being able to allow multiple documents within a window unlike OE, next/previous page mouse movement, context sensitive menu, very large number of standard features than rivals. CON: Free edition had adverts, non-advert edition costs £24.

2) Mozilla Firefox 1.0 PRO: Came recommended. Flexible searching, good anti spam approach, tabbed browsing,built in search bar, and no support for VBscript or ActiveX controls. CON: basic, no facility to view two pages side by side, music/ video sites may not display properly, online mail clients such as Inotes or Outlook Web Access may not display some content at all.

Hope it helps. If your using Firefox the experience of missing files might have something to do with that browser.

best regards

Alan

Alf":2tnhlpvv said:
But then if they can send HTML, I would have thought they could receive it? No? Hmm,
Cheers, Alf

You are probably correct, Just trying to look around the obvious, don't know if some of this anti-spam/anti-virus stuff (at the ISP's) might be blocking it one way only.

Were any attachments involved?

Er..., nope, no attachments. S'very odd. Oh well, Thunderbird is Go (ho ho) so we'll see. Trouble is it doesn't do Hotmail so I'll still need OE. ](*,)

Cheers, Alf

Alf":kewo51m0 said:
Thunderbird is Go (ho ho) so we'll see.
Cheers, Alf

At least you will have Tracy for company.

What's the next project, The Island? :lol:

Alf

You can access hotmail from Firefox.

Another thought...are you sure that your reply text isn't added at the BOTTOM of the thread? Just a thought

Roger

Roger Sinden":96pbs070 said:
You can access hotmail from Firefox.
Yep, I know. But it's slow...

Roger Sinden":96pbs070 said:
Another thought...are you sure that your reply text isn't added at the BOTTOM of the thread? Just a thought
Good idea, but no, seems not.

Well after all that I can't get Thunderbird to be FAB and recognise I have new email... :? I think I'll go somewhere quiet and scream, if no one minds. ](*,)

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2xehuux3 said:
Roger, yep, that's it.

Chas, well I always send in plain text, but if it's a reply to someone else's HTML email then it might get sent like that. But then if they can send HTML, I would have thought they could receive it? No? Hmm, I'll try knobbling the rich text every time and see if that helps.

Cheers, Alf

In options send is the box ticked reply to messages using the format in which they were sent try un ticking it

Latest posts

Back