• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

email alert of new entries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a php discussion board with some University reasearchers whom I'm sponsoring, and they have added a spellchecker and a daily email update to all who ask for it of the new posts, they downloaded the software from the PHP user site. I'm no IT guru, but if you coud add at least the email functionality that would certainly increase not only mine but others activity

Just a suggestion

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look around but I don't think I've seen thoses addons for PHPbb..

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
Gulp! Here is the reply :( : if you understand this or know someone who does - let me know and I can pass on the zip files - at least the spell check is easy

Greetz

AB :oops:

Andy,

This is the link to the Spell checker:
http://www.master-technology.com/phpbb/
You need the Dictionary and phpSpell.

The email notification is something that I wrote myself. It is tested with MySQL. It might not work with other databases. I assume you are talking about a phpBB forum? Otherwise the SQL queries should be changed to work with other forums.

A description of the usage of the script:
I have hardcoded a few things in the script. Making the script really usable for others would mean some more work. But you could try it.
You should replace the email adressin the script. Now: email@site.com
Also replace "server.name", "Sitename" and "Site description".
And replace "db_username", "db_password" and "db_name".

Then the users table in the database needs an extra column user_daily_notification. The user table is probably "phpbb_users".
The SQL command is:

ALTER TABLE phpbb_users
ADD user_daily_notification TINYINT(1)
DEFAULT 0;

Then you probably want the users to change in their profile if they want the notification or not. This is some work.
The following files must be chaged:
includes/usercp_register.php
includes/usercp_avatar.php
admin/admin_users.php
languages/lang_english/lang_main.php
templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl
templates/subSilver/admin/user_edit_body.tpl

I have attached those files in phpfiles.zip. If you search for "DAILY" and "daily", you will find the lines that I added or changed.
It is not a good idea to just replace the current files with my files, because there could be other modifications in it.

Maybe it is best to try the script first. Only add the column in the users table and make sure that only the test person has user_daily_notification set to 1 (others: 0).

You can run the script from within the commandline like "php phpBB_daily_notification.php"
When all is working you should run this script daily.

William

-----Original Message-----
Sent: donderdag 11 september 2003 10:57
To: William van Dieten
Subject: A favour

William- I am a member of another PHP community and they do not have the daily email update we have in the CAF. Could you send me a link where you found the source code for that modification as well as the spell check?

Cheers

Andy Boyd

A

Anonymous

I'm not in the office now till monday - spell check seems OK

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Charley

Thanks for the good work. The spell checker must, I suspect, be of US origin because it allows color and colour.

As this facility was introduced by a fellow Welshman, I think we should have a Welsh spell checker. :lol: :lol: :wink:

I'll now take my tongue out of my cheek. I have just run the spell check on Cymru am beth and it didn't find any errors. Now that is impressive. :D

Cheers
Neil