email address and hosting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife has an email address that costs me £43 a year through 123 reg. Is this reasonable, seem a lot to merely have a bespoke domain name email?

it includes the [email protected] email address and the mailbox supporting it

123 appear cheap for setting up domains, but boy are they expensive for renewals and add ons. Sounds like it does not include their (awful) webs site service as that is even more pricey once you get beyond the £1 a month for a single page deal.

I expect your charge includes the domain, hosting and associated email. I would shop around to repost the domain elsewhere.

what do I need to search for, "domain and email hosting"?

I use HostPresto, £24 for nano hosting, £12 for a .com domain, plus VAT = almost exactly the same. Support has been good on the few occasions I've needed it.

There are ethical objections to GoDaddy - to do with CEOs shooting elephant.

I would be more concerned about the intelligence of the man when he did something that many people get upset about, and then self publicised himself as a saviour doing it.

But then again, I'm not a millionaire, let alone a self made one.

£43 - that's the same price I pay a UK-based provider to host a Ghost blog and email etc (approx £3.50 a month). Then theres the domain renewal on top of that, approx £10 per year.
If it's just used for email, find somewhere that you can port your domain to and park it (so no hosting fees) and will also allow forwarding of email. If they allow forwarding of 'catch-all' then even better. Have all mail sent to a Gmail account and configure that to send as an alias.
Might even get all that for free if they're not hosting a website for you.

Big recommendation from me for infomaniak
They've been hosting my personal email domain for a few years and the service has been highly reliable and best of all, not in your face.
I consider the price quite reasonable. They host many websites but I don't use that part of the service.

IONOS does it for me - with real people based in Gloucester that you can actually speak to in person on the phone. They host 3 or 4 domains for me for email, plus 1 website.

They are "pay as you go" with no prepayment or lock-in.

My advice, based on past experience, would be to avoid: 123, Heart, GoDaddy

I have used Freeola for over twenty years for hosting and email. Costed me nothing in hosting fees at all.

IONOS user here. Rolling monthly contract, reasonable rates (I think, have not looked for a while.... 12gbp pm including a couple of domains addresses, web and email hosting, IP address - seems a little more than others are getting charged here?). Their support is good, not quite XKCD 806 compliant (You will need Andrews and Arnold for that), but pretty effective.

I think I wrote a post ages ago about web hosting, email & domains.

The gist of it was to register your domains with any of the main providers:

- GoDaddy
- Ionos (formerly 1&1)
- 123-reg
- namecheap

(in no preferred order).

Sometimes they do discount codes for single or multi year.

That takes care of your domain registration. "co.uk" is about a tenner a year and ".com" is probably $10 a year but there will be some variation.

Then find someone to host your web site and\or email. This can range from a few quid a month to stupid amounts. Depends on how much you want your hand holding, level of service and how much "grunt" what you want to do will require.

As an example - a simple website or a few email addresses are low grunt whilst a forum could be a lot of grunt.

HIH

Dibs

I'd been with ONE.com for a number of years but their prices almost doubled this year so when it was due last month I parked my .co.uk domain name with Hover.com for £10 p.a until I decide witch way to go with it I did a fair bit of research and found most companies had pretty awful feedback, Hover was as good as anybody else.

There's a slightly different procedure to transfer a .co.uk domain but it was still simple and hassle free.

If looking at hosting, make sure you have a company that allows free HTTPS certificates (e.g. Let's Encrypt). I will be leaving ukservers at next renewal as they want £50 pa for something that is basic to web security.
I left 123-reg years ago - hopeless then - and clearly not improved!

I use Zen. I do not expect they are the cheapest but their support when I have had a problem, always of my own making, they have always gone the extra mile.

I wanted to change something related to accounts and expected it to be difficult, it had been with everyone else. I was put thorough to accounts, explained what I wanted to do, "no problem" they said and a couple of minutes later it was done. I was impressed.

Latest posts

Back