elu routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

does anyone know the DeWALT router that is the equivilant of the Elu177.

Just a quick follow up to Chris,
DW624 single speed, DW625 variable speed. The 'K' denotes it comes in a kit box.
cheers,

Andy

Disagree, the CMT is closer still. No (visible) difference apart from the colour. Not that the T9 isn't a fine router.

DW625 or the orange but otherwise criminally identical CMT 1850 - which I've just ordered as my 'rat router :)

Jake the Dewalt 625 is closer to the Elu 177 then the CMT because the Dewalt is in fact the old Elu. When Black and Decker bought Elu they rebadged the MOF 177 to the 625.

Cheers

Woody

When the CMT was launched it was pretty much identical except for colour, including the wattage of the motor.
Dewalt have since upgraded the DW625 to a bigger motor, 2000watt IIRC

Andy

Hi Andy

andy king":pvybkva0 said:
Dewalt have since upgraded the DW625 to a bigger motor, 2000watt IIRC

Yes, you're right they have upgraded the motor. They have also increased the plunge to 80mm.

Cheers
Neil

Andy, Neil, that maybe the case now but as you will see from Jelly's other post (Routers) which you will find elsewhere, he wanted to know which Dewalt model was closer to the old "ELU 177" (ELU MOF177), as he wants to replace the base on his ELU.
The point i was making is when Black and Decker bought ELU they took the ELU 177 changed its colour and re badged it to the Dewalt 625. They may have upgraded it to 2000 watts now, but at that time like the ELU it had a 1850 motor.
This being the case the Dewalt 625 is the nearest model to his 177, because except for the colour and name it is the old 177.

I have a 625EK and i had a 177 before it was nicked many moons ago.

Regards

Woody

Not disagreeing with you at all, but I just wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that the CMT was the MOF177, made by Dewalt in the old Elu factory and rebadged/re-bodied for CMT. I know this doesn't help the orignal poster at all!

Hi all, - Jake - spot on - the CMT comes out of the old ELU177E factory in Italy using the same tooling/parts etc, just a plastic colour granule change - This was a deal done with CMT and Black and Decker Europe a few years back. It isn't a copy, it is the approx. 1993 (ish) onwards 177E with a colour change (The original Elu ones were Swiss of course)
The new DW625 is now made elsewhere.
Cheers
Nick
Jet
(and ex-Elu a long time back :wink: )

Jetman, If you would care to look at the following test on "Get Woodworking.Com" (run by The Woodworker, Routing, and Practical Woodworking) you will see that my post is correct. The link is as follows: www.getwoodworking.com/pages/tests.cgi (goto power tools, routers, then Dewalt 625E)
As you can see they state that the "DEWALT 625 IS THE DIRECT DESCENDENT OF THE ELU 177. ALL THE MAIN FEATURES OF ITS FOREBEAR HAVE BEEN MAINTAINED"

I really do not know how many times i have got to say it. I know what i am talking about. As i have said above i used to own the ELU 177 until it was stolen and as i could not replace it with a new ELU i was pointed towards the DEWALT 625 and i found it to be the same.

I am not saying that the CMT does not look like the ELU or that it is a not a rebadged model, but i do say that the Dewalt was there first.

I may be wrong but i do not even think that the CMT router you are talking about was even on the market when the Dewalt 625 was introduced.

Regards

Woody

could i say thank you to all who answered my questions about the elu routers the question i think has been well answered

As far as I understand it the old DeWalt 625 was the closest to the Elu originally, but due to changes to the DeWally and the introduction of the CMT, the latter is now the closest. Which was closest first would seem to me to be wholly irrelevant.

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back