ELU RAS 1601

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phry

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently acquired one of these and am looking for a user manual for it.

Does anyone know where to find one?

Any other info or advice on this machine would be appreciated too!

Many thanks.

I'm sure that you know this already but it's exactly the same as the DeWalt Powershop version except for some colours.
I had a DeWalt 1501 which is pretty similar to the 1601 - yours will have a longer arm - and always assumed that they badged these up for Elu. There was some cooperation for a while before DeWalt bought them.
My two snippets of advice are
1. to set the saw up with a sheet of 6mm MDF on the table. Set the depth so that you cut a mm or so into this sacrificial sheet.
Whenever you make a cut where it's important to minimise tearout on the back, just move the sheet sideways so that you get a fresh groove and best possible support for the bottom edges.
2. Use machine table wax on the column, it kept mine rust free for years.

Personally I think ripping on these is a disaster waiting to happen. Some people advocate it, I never got a good cut no matter how carefully I aligned everything first.
If you don't have a drill press, screwing a drill chuck into the back end of the spindle makes quite a useful horizontal drill in a pinch (blade and guard removed, motor turned 90 degrees)
The manual does give the sequence for adjusting all the support screws / clamping bolts to level and square the table to the column / arm. The column base is bolted tightly down to the pressed steel underframe and this is never adjusted, the table is always squared up to the column. The underframe isn't that rigid. Expect some sag at the extremities and either adjust it periodically or build the saw into a bench.

It was interesting to own, but I found the saw didn't deliver the very clean, precise cuts that I wanted from it. I replaced it with a good sliding mitre saw which does what I expect from it.

Many thanks for the reply. I am aware there are DeWalt versions that are the same. I haven't figured out which one is equivalent to the Elu 1601 though, or where to get a manual yet.

I intent to make new steel legs for mine so can hopefully stiffen up the frame in the process.

Never thought about using as a drill :) I will be happy if I can get the thing re-furbished and making basic cuts well enough :LOL:

The linked manual is for the baby machine in the range. The 1501 and 1601 are bigger but looking through there is so much the same that it provides most all the info needed to setup the saw. The OP's saw has a longer arm, solid cast not made with holes and a plastic cover, a bigger motor (most likely with a horizontal handle not vertical).
The pressed steel base has outriggers extending beyond the basic square in order to support a larger table, but the setup of everything can be deduced from the smaller saw's manual 👍

Thanks for the link. Yes it appears you are correct, mine is slightly different. I have no cover on the arm, just solid.

Looks like a similar setup though and I'm sure will be a great help vs the nothing I had before!

Anyone know the best place for spares? I have found a website that lists most parts, can't seem to find any other suppliers to compare.

Back