Elu MOF 96 problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyefxr

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for some help, my MOF96 has become a bit sticky/draggy on the vertical movement. When i depress it does not return nice and smooth, in fact sometimes is stay in the depressed position.
I have had it for about twenty years and it was my dad's before that. I know i could oil the two sliders but that would just attract dust to it even when wiped clean.
Has anyone had the same problem and has anyone taken one apart?
There are screws going into the plastic head part but i am wary to pull it apart in case it goes ping and i have lots of bits.
I know Miles do repairs on these as i sent it in when the brush were sticking a few years back, they may not be taking repairs in at the moment anyway.
Cheers

I find that chain lube from a bike shop is good for this sort of thing. "Finish Line Dry" is a good one.
Added advantage, bike shops are allowed to open at present.

Bike lubricants are listed as wet or dry for the conditions they are going to be used in ie wet and muddy or dry and dusty. They are both oils.
I have the a MOF96E which is at least 25 years old. The problem is either lubrication or the springs have become worn.
Try a thorough clean of the legs with a very fine wire wool and then use graphite
If that doesnt improve things then I would strip it and give it a full clean and retry
Failing that it is replacement springs. I thing the trend or dewalt version of this router are a direct fit
Ian

They are really simple to take apart. You take off the on off switch (2 screws) fully depress the foot, and I mean completely, and you gain access to the circlip that holds the foot on through the opening where the on off switch was. Removing it allows the foot to come off.

There is a video on uTube showing how to do it......apart from he doesn’t fully depress the foot to gain access to the circlip.....and do not take the roll pin out of the base. I think I’m video part 2 he works out you need to fully depress the base

https://youtu.be/rXflJFFPo1E

Thanks for the youtube link, i will hold off taking mine apart as i have some PTFE spray on it's way.
I will however give my pillars a gentle rub with 0000 wire wool as there does not seem to be anything internal that can go wrong.

Another shout out for graphite.....I don't know if you can still buy it in powder form......If I don't have powder at hand a pencil will do the same trick.

I had the same issue with my mof 96 about 5 years ago, I took it apart and cleaned all the dust out, applied a bit of graphite here and there, re assembled, it's as good as new......

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Just given the stems a quick rub over with the 0000 wire wool and it has made a hell of a difference. Will wait for the PTFE.
We used to use Molyslip when building bike engines and that had graphite in it, was real good for all the white metal bearings, never had a failure at all. bit sticky for the router though lol.

Do what Deema said. It's super easy to separate the base assembly with the rods from the motor unit. You will get to polish the full length of the rods including the section where the router always parks itself. This will reduce wear on the bushes as well as getting the best possible plunge action.
The body plastic is good quality. The screws are #2 pozi (don't use a philips screwdriver). And when you put it back together, turn the screws very gently backwards until you feel a "click" as they drop into the existing threads. Then tighten up normally. That little trick helps you avoid cutting a new thread in the plastic. These machines can be stripped, cleaned and fitted wth new bearings and brushes many times over.

My Elu router all running sweet. Someone posted a youtube vid link on taking it apart, this was very help full . The last bit the guy in the vid said to leave the circlip off as it is very hard to get back on.
I would like to say this is not so, I depressed the router into the channel on my router table so the collet nut was at the bottom of the channel. This left the circlip in plain view to replace where it should live.
So taking the base off of an Elu Mof96 is easy peezie.

Back