Elu Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chisteve

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My father in law has passed one of these lathes to me recently its about 30 years or so old I beleive and works fine, I've enjoyed wood turning with it.

I have searched this forum and found a few of you have the same, I want to set up a tailstock to enable drilling through the work piece

I'm looking for an adapter for a drill chuck

I expect that I could get one machined but just wondering if anybody on here might know where I might be able to get one

If like many lathes the tailstock should have a Morse taper in it you need to find out what it is and then you can buy a Morse taper adaptor which has a chuck on the end.

From the exploded diagram of the lathe tailstock given on the webpage Sachakins linked to, it looks like the tailstock is made to accept parallel shank accessories secured by a screw rather than the more usual Morse taper arrangement. If so a way forward may be to buy a generic parallel shank drill chuck arbor - they are available with a variety of male tapers to fit the chuck of your choice. It's unlikely that you will find one with the right parallel shank size off-the-peg, but it would be much easier/cheaper to make a sleeve than machining a suitable arbor from scratch. Maybe it could even be done in wood!
Rob.

What is the internal diameter of the tailstock? I have a Jacobs drill chuck on a straight shank that I have no use for.

The drill chuck I have is on a 1" shaft. So I think you might need to make something for it to fit a drill chuck. If you bought a "soft stub arbour", I can see one on a popular auction site which has an MT2 taper at one end and a 40 diameter x 40mm deep block on the other end. You would then need to find someone to trim the MT2 end which would make it a B16 male taper, lots of drill chucks available cheaply with B16 female taper fitting. Then turn the 40mm end to your exact dimensions. This saves making it completely from scratch.

minilathe22":jcc702mu said:
The drill chuck I have is on a 1" shaft. So I think you might need to make something for it to fit a drill chuck. If you bought a "soft stub arbour", I can see one on a popular auction site which has an MT2 taper at one end and a 40 diameter x 40mm deep block on the other end. You would then need to find someone to trim the MT2 end which would make it a B16 male taper, lots of drill chucks available cheaply with B16 female taper fitting. Then turn the 40mm end to your exact dimensions. This saves making it completely from scratch.
That would be an excellent plan were it not that that it's the thin end of MT2 which corresponds to B16:
B16_2MT.JPG

If minilathe's Jacobs chuck isn't suitable RDG do a 3/4 inch parallel shank B16 arbor which could be sleeved up to 29mm fairly easily I imagine. There's a good chance the shank will be hardened though, so you'd need to have the access to kit to cut it down to the 26mm depth of the tailstock barrel recess.
Robin

Attachments

• B16_2MT.JPG
    B16_2MT.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 194
Looks like minilathe's idea could work with a B18 chuck though! I haven't got one to check, but it looks like B18 is the 'fat' end of MT2.
Robin.

Well spotted on my mistake with B16 taper. I have seen B18 taper chucks are also available and are usually slightly larger capacity.

If the OP is happy with a B18 chuck, the soft arbor suggestion looks good - less machining than making a sleeve, so cheaper - and one less bit to lose!
It's a nice idea - wish I'd thought of it when I had a similar problem a while back, so thanks from me for that!
Robin.

Back