Elu 177 Stuck collet and cutter- HELP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plurf2

Reaction score
Hi peeps
I need help. My collet and cutter are stuck in the router. The nut is off but somehow the collet and cutter is jammed :cry:
The collet is about 5/8th of the way in, the cutter shank is all the way in. I have mangled the cutter with locking pliers trying to get a grip. usually it just pops out. If I cant pull it out, could i open the router and knock it out from the "inside"
How do I open the router? It is an Elu 177/2.
Thanks for any advice.

Ps, have just read on another forum, the Elu 31's never utilised a collet?" The problem with these routers is that originally they didn't hold the cutter in a collet at all. Instead the bottom of the motor shaft is threaded M12 x 1mm metric fine male and cutters for use with the router had a hollow end threaded M12 x 1 female and were made with two flats on the shank to allow them to be fitted."
Could it be that i have made an error in using a collet? maybe it is jammed into the thread of the motor shaft?
Oh poop. :shock:

pss, i have read most other threads, sorry for repeat style ?, tried tapping the cutter first. the nut came off no problem but cutter stuck and collet stuck. i have put a few drops machine oil. not working. thinking of using more force but i dont wanna. maybe if i clamp the cutter in a vice with some wood and pull?
my faithfull Elu. You went so far, fought through miles of timber and nay, not slayn via motoric death, alas, to my shame, the heart beats strong but the bones crumble. or something like that.

Using a good flat head screwdriver and a hammer. Wedge the screwdriver tip behind the collet lip and tap once towards the cutter, rotate around the collet and repeat. It will come out.

The Elu 177 is just the forerunner of the Dewalt 265 or Trend T10/11. Should require a collet. I don't think you can get to it from the back. Not much you can do really. Firstly I'd simply try and spray as much WD40 at it as you can. Try a gentle tap with a hammer inwards in case there's some kind of damage on the shaft of the bit creating a barb locking it more in place as you try to pull it out. Failing that, your options are to either dismantle it to lock the main shaft in a vice to either give it some beans with a large spanner and risk damaging the threads or hacksaw the bit off flush with the collet and drill the rest out. Perhaps try and apply some heat if you have a small blow torch to see if that will release it. Ultimate penalty I'll be an main shaft but you're talking over £100 for that.

Actually Mikes right. If the nut is already off try and rotate it with the screwdriver. Collets are quite brittle so if that fails you could try and smashing the collet out.

Do try my method. Been there got the T-shirt etc. It will come out, but just one tap at a time and rotate the shaft to a new spot each time, it will probably pop out out with the first blow. Do not tap the cutter deeper, it will lock up tighter. New collets are available on ebay. Always check that the cutter shank is clean and without burrs.

Ok, i will go fiddle with it, some more. and a bit more. I will give it a go with screwdriver and hammer first but i have had a look at it close up n personal, seems to me it was dropped straight on the cutter or hit with a hammer. i must say, i will never lend out any tools ever ever ever again.The shaft is buried to below the collet lip, if that makes sense. Am starting to wonder if cutting it off flush with collet and drilling out is the route to go. anyhoo, thanks for the tips so far.

WD40 is NOT a penetrating fluid and is virtually useless for this. It is a water displacer - the clue is WD
Proper penetrating fluid such as plus gas is the stuff to use.

Bob

I would remove in a slightly different way
grasp the bit in a vice mounted horizontal and then with a long punch tap the router at the bottom bearing housing to knock the router off the bit hopefully the collet will come out too
This would be a more parrellel force applied to the stuck parts
You would prob need a hand to hold/ support the router
Also i'm sure you know that the collet must fit into the nut before installing...thats why you have this problem as the guy who borrowed your router installed the nut after inserting the collet and bit

Ian

The problem was either caused by not fitting the collet into the nut first which is the most likely or the lip on the collet has become worn.

The screwdriver and hanner is the way to go, use a combination of hitting from the side inwards and also get the screwdriver blade behind the lip of the collet and try to drive it out working around the collet.

Take the base off the router so you can get at it a bit more easily, just remove nut from height adjuster and slide the base off.

J

Hi everyone. thanks for all the ideas. i am trying. the collet was new, i has bought it when i got the router. I lent it out a mew months ago and have only needed to use it recently. surprised by the stuck cutter etc.
it has never given me any hassle. i have tried to upload a photo, being a techno peasant i have managed to take a photo in a larger size than is allowed to post. i am in two minds as to post it. for fear of reprisal, i have MANGLED, and i mean mangled the bit to death.
at one point i managed to rotated the cutter a little either way, but it is solid stuck in there. not gone the extreme routes yet but strongly siding with the cut the cutter off n drill it out line of thinking.
sometimes i wish i was in South Africa, My father, a master metal worker/machinist would no doubt teach me a trick or three and pop it out there in a sneeze.
so any of you out there with elderly parents, take note. dont delay, go on, say it to them. i love you dad/mum.
ok, out in sign. thanks again for the ideas.

Back