Elu 177 router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnold J

Reaction score
Hi.
I was using my router today when it started to give me electric shocks through all metal parts. I initially thought it was my fingers tingling but realised it was a bit too tingly. I haven’t stripped it down yet but any thoughts on what could be causing it to short. I did notice the speed control slowed down for a couple of seconds before the tingles started but then picked up speed to normal. Thanks a lot for reading the post.

Play safe. Don't run it anymore except in a socket or extension lead with an RCD / RCB / ELCB type device protecting it.
If you are able to feel a tingle, I'd expect an RCD to trip out.
I think these ARE double insulated tools, so an earth wire isn't needed, but anything can fail. I'd try it on an RCD protected socket next as a diagnostic. If it does trip, you know that you have a hazardous electrical fault that needs to be fixed.
What's your level of knowledge of electrics ? Have you replaced the carbon brushes on a power tool before ?
Do you have a decent test meter ?
Do you have compressed air in your workshop ?
One basic non electrical step you could do would be to remove the top cover where the air enters and blow it all out using compressed air. That might remove any accumulation of carbon dust from the brushes that might be making a weak electrical connection from the commutator to the metal of the spindle

Dou
There’s no earth wire so it must be double insulated- or is it?
Double insulated, with exposed metal parts? Could it be? Did you buy it new with no earth wire or second hand and the previous owner changed the cord?

Most every drill you buy is double insulated but also has a metal chuck on the end of a metal spindle.
Very few power tools don't have exposed metal somewhere on the shaft.

I was using my router today when it started to give me electric shocks through all metal parts.
Going by this I would say it is not double insulated, does it display the two concentric squares that show class 2 insulation? A simple PAT test is what is required and this may well show a faulty earth and failure of insulation. Also you need to check your electrical installation in the workshop because it is only during fault conditions that you may find an issue and then it could be too late!

Going by this I would say it is not double insulated, does it display the two concentric squares that show class 2 insulation? A simple PAT test is what is required and this may well show a faulty earth and failure of insulation. Also you need to check your electrical installation in the workshop because it is only during fault conditions that you may find an issue and then it could be too late!

image.jpg

Thank you all for your replies. Is this the two squares you are referring to?
Has to be saidthat the wiring looks fine from the top.
yes I do have a multimeter and am able to change brushes. I will blow it out although it actually looks pretty clean under the cap.
i should be able to get a PAT test done early next week.

You are double insulated, I have one of those but it has a broken locking lever. The whole concept of double insulation is that even if the motor insulation fails then the metal parts should not, so this machine needs an overhaul and through testing as something has made it unsafe to use and you need to seek help from a local electrical repair shop before plugging it in again.

Back