Elu 177/02 router running hot anyone got a manual?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I picked up an Elu 177/02 router the other day. Had time to have a go with it this evening. Cleaned out the masses of dust that had built up in the columns and in the shaft underneath the collet and gave it a general brushing off. The plunge mechanism is a smooth as a babys bum.

I've run it for a few minutes and adjusted the speed which works, but it isn't that smooth when changing speeds. It kind of lurches from one speed to the next, slightly dipping before getting up to the new selected speed. It also sounds like the speed occasionally varies ever so slightly when left running under no load.

Also, after running for a few minutes (with no cutter or collet in) the inside of the shaft feels pretty hot.

I'm thinking maybe the bottom bearing may be an issue?? Building up heat and transferring it through the shaft?? Thinking about it I didn't check to see if the shaft had any play in it. It sounds smooth when running and I think it is getting up to full speed.

Anyone got a manual for this model? or even an exploded diagram?

Cheers

It is quite common for the labyrinth seal on the shaft to fill up with dust which then starts to cause friction and burn. Remove the spindle lock and see if it needs a clean out.

I've just rebuit a T10 and T11 both with the same fault. Eventually the bearings fail because of this.

hth

Bob

Cheers Bob. It doesnt look too expensive to replace the bearings it they do fail. Do you know if this heat usually cause damage to other areas? or should replacing them give some more years of service?

If the heat is coming from the bearing then it is unlikely to have an effect on anything else. The Trends I rebuilt were pouring out smoke from charred mdf dust and now run perfectly with only a bearing change and a good clean up.
If the amature has been damaged, then they are rarely worth repair on cost grounds but in this instance, the heating effect is fairly rapid.

Quality c3 bearing from SKF less than £6 here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6005-2RS-6005 ... 0536853947

Bob

I've taken off the spindle lock and removed a small amount of carbinated material. The armature is certainly stiffer to turn than that on my Elu 98 or my macalister router.

I've had a good look round inside with a torch and it seems pretty clean in there.

Is it particularly difficult to replace the bearings in these? I've replaced all of the bearings in my bandsaw before but no other experience of such things than this.

Thanks for your help by the way Bob!!

They are quite easy to replace just be carefull pulling off the magnet at the top of the armature...easily broken.. take pictures of the wires or good diagrams if your memory isnt good

They are reasonably straight forward provided you are used to fitting bearings. IE know that you never to hammer them in but alway apply steady pulling or pushing pressure on the correct part of the bearing and square in line with the shaft axis.

I made up a spacer to use the collet nut to draw the bearing onto the armature which made it easier.

Bob

+1 for the magnet care warning. I just happen to know that if broken, they can be glued back together with epoxy with no ill effects :oops:

Thanks chaps. I will have a look at the diagram again and take it slowly. I've taken some photos of the wiring, as suggested my memory is never that good! ;-)

It seems from the diagram that part of the shaft locates into the bearing at the top. Does the Magnet need to be removed? It'll probably make sence when I start.

I ended up taking it to work. We have a Dewalt authorised repair center and very kindly did the work for me. Two new bearings later and it runs like new!

I could still do with getting hold of a user manual if there ever was one. I have a large panel raising bit that suggests a certain RPM but not sure what RPM goes with each number on the dial.

Back