Elm headboard WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigs

Established Member
Reaction score
IMG_20191230_123202.jpg

So I made a bed a few years ago and have finally got round to making the headboard. The bed was made from ash and elm so I decided to pick up an Elm slab. Which required the obvious flattening and finishing. Hope you enjoy
T

Attachments

• IMG_20191230_123202.jpg
    IMG_20191230_123202.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,613
To get the board flat I used my track saw rails to create a rail for a router sled which worked really well, Ive used this method a couple times always to a great result

Attachments

• slab end.jpeg
    slab end.jpeg
    633.2 KB · Views: 1,589
  • slab plane.jpg
    slab plane.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,589
  • slab  close 1.jpeg
    slab close 1.jpeg
    660.7 KB · Views: 1,588
After a couple hours planing and sanding I used a good helping of danish oil on the face side to see how its gonna finish. I also had to clean out some rotten bits from the crack which I will fill with resin once the weather warms a little.

Attachments

• slab oil.jpg
    slab oil.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,584
  • slab up.jpg
    slab up.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,586
  • slab fin.jpg
    slab fin.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,585
  • slab2.jpg
    slab2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,585
  • gnarly bit.jpg
    gnarly bit.jpg
    981.4 KB · Views: 1,584
I should have the board fitted tomorrow as Ive finished the back and edges, it just needs a final coat of oil. I was wondering though when I fit the board should I keep the heating off in that room to begin with and slowly introduce it so that the slab has time to acclimatise ????

Trigs":w9dkhbr3 said:
I should have the board fitted tomorrow as Ive finished the back and edges, it just needs a final coat of oil. I was wondering though when I fit the board should I keep the heating off in that room to begin with and slowly introduce it so that the slab has time to acclimatise ????
Elm is liable to move and twist quite a lot. Assuming that the board you bought was air dried, the moisture content ought to be around 20% so bringing it into a warm room quite suddenly could produce unexpected movement. I've found with elm that it's best to take it quite slowly, letting it condition for a month or so before doing any work and then taking a little off both sides just to see how it behaves. It's great stuff but IMO needs to be treated carefully - Rob

by Steve Maskery
I don't know if they still do, but Ercol used to use a lot of elm. I wonder how they kept their table tops flat?

From ercol website
"We make our furniture from high quality timber which is sourced from around the world. We use mainly hard woods ash, elm, beech, oak and walnut to create our beautiful furniture."

That surprises me. I think they originally based themselves in High Wycombe because of the availability if Chiltern beech.

Brian

Steve Maskery":1682uk93 said:
I don't know if they still do, but Ercol used to use a lot of elm. I wonder how they kept their table tops flat?
It will stay flat Steve once it's been seasoned and conditioned; it's the seasoning process until the final MC has been achieved that causes all the problems..... if you're unlucky enough to get any. Sometimes I've come across a good board and it stays flat, but it can be very 'iffy' - Rob

woodbloke66":2joa3o9k said:
Steve Maskery":2joa3o9k said:
It will stay flat Steve once it's been seasoned and conditioned.........Rob

True, but they can carry on moving in width. I made an elm kitchen table from 300+ year old elm about 20 years ago after storing it inside for a year. There is a gap now between the two 4" thick boards of 6 to 8mm.

That's a very pretty board.
Assuming that you are leaving the waney edge on and just mounting the board on some supports, a little bit of movement won't ruin it, I'd have thought.

Latest posts

Back