Elm burr sanding dust and finish ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my first bit of elm burr. Making a bowl with a wide edge. Finding it nice to turn though trying to sand the wide edge with its gaps is a bit fingery :D , but what do I do to get rid of the sanding dust from the pores in the burr, and what is recommended for finishing.

Rob

Vacuum cleaner and stiff bristle brush, I use cellulose sanding sealer and burnish with bristle mop and microcrystalline wax.

air compressor
blowing air at hight speed to remove the dust

i would use a spray finish like laquer

ahh - that's really confusing! :D One sucks and the other blows !! :twisted:

I've only got suck! I've now worked out that the problem is more than I expected in that in one small section of the bowl there are small cavities in the surface rather than cracks. The dust (pale yellow) has packed into these cavities and is not that willing to all come out using a picking point. I could try turning these areas out but suspect that all that will happen is new cavities will appear. How about washing with some sort of spirit on something like a tooth brush - will that remove the dust in these holes ?

On the subject of the finish I had a look at a Mark Baker book on woodturning projects - he seems to favour lemon oil on burrs. Is that a personal preference of his or is that a good option ?

Rob

always the case that the solution you have doesn't meet the problem you encounter...that's why we need such large workshops to store all the gear!

for the issue you face, compressed air is the only 'easy way'.

finish is a matter of preference, but holes/cracks and fissures don't seem to go well with wax solutions

The dust deep in cavities that won't come out. In an area that will not be too obvious try dropping a spot of sealer or finishing oil on it to check the effect. Often pale dust will take on a darker matching colour when wetted.

Or do as you suggested and wash with cellulose thinners.

For finishing elm burr I use carnuba wax applied with the Chestnut buffing system.

I used to use the wax sticks but found the wax go into the burrs, but the buffing system doesn't as long as you don't press too hard on the mops.

ebbowl_06.JPG

Attachments

• ebbowl_06.JPG
    ebbowl_06.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,389
Back