Elm bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Can't stop turning at the minute (hammer) The lathe is like my crack pipe!

I liked the shape of Rich's deep bowl he posted the other day and I've got some thick Elm so.....
cooldylsanddeepelm007.jpg

cooldylsanddeepelm008.jpg

This ones not quite perfect as when I burned in the lines for the band the heat has darkened a tiny bit of the ends of the straight grain :evil: Its about 5 1/2" tall and 7" wide.

JT

I like that one johnny, not usually over enthusiastic about thick walled bowls but that one just seems to strike a balance with the character of the wood, great crisp finish you've achieved on the Elm.

Glad to have helped in some small way, with the turning not the crack pipe!!?!??!!?!?!?!!!!!!!

Nice looking crisp bit of turning, the band has a good metalic look to it and the rim shows off the Elm grain. The Elm gives me an idea, I have a chunk in mind, It is lovely looking timber and you have shown it off nicely here.

I know what you mean about the pull of the workshop, I can't wait to get out there on the lathe. Loads of work to do in the evenings this week though :evil: :evil: Saturday evening possibly.

Look forward to more of your crack fueled spinnings :lol:

Rich

If you can remount it could you score around the band with the tip of a skew? Just enough to put a good edge on it?

pete

Hi JT,

You're not dealing by any chance? :lol:

Elm - beautiful, chunky - beautiful, you've said it yourself, edging on band - not so beautiful.

As Bo says, this really is worth a remount to get that crisp edge.

Cheers,

Lee.

TBH I'm a little undecided about the shape but that's just my preference. Having just turned an elm bowl myself [not a patch on yours] I'm extra impressed by the quality of the finish, I really struggled to get even a half decent finish on the interior. Did you find it hard and quick to blunt your tools ?

Thanks for all the replies :)

Pete and Lee as this is finished(you couldn't see the darkening thats making the edges look less than perfect under my shed lights) my only way to remount anywhere near central would be cole jaws but as you know these are not a perfect enough mount to get a skew tip in straight into a previously cut line.Its ok though I just won't be able to sell it and will have to employ it at home somewhere :lol:

LW the dimples(bubbles) where dremelled in with a burr.

Ian, knee deep mate!!

Mike, why don't you like the shape? As for turning it,I don't find Elm a bad timber to turn at all, the middle was turned out on one sharpening of the gouge. I have found that Elm hates scrapers and you get deep tearout with them,did you scrape the inside of yours?

JT

Oh and just to be sure,the crack pipe was a metaphor for my turning addiction! I don't smoke crack! :lol: :lol: Don't need to with all this crystal meth :lol: :lol: :lol: (that was a joke too)

Yet another lovely looking piece of timber Johnny,and very nicely turned and finished :D
But again i think the band spoils it.There is some lovely grain pattern in the Elm which i feel is broken by the band.
The band,which is a very nice design, might have looked better on the top rim on this piece,in my view. :?:

I used to know an old turner who worked mainly in elm. He was convinced that elm grown on chalk was gritty and you could see the white mineral deposits in it that would take the edge off the tool straight away.

I'm not saying anything about the band!

Thanks for the input everyone :)

PJ, I'm starting to think you're a plain wood man :lol: I agree that the grain is lovely but have you ever seen a piece of Elm where it isn't?

JT

Nice work Johnny, shame about the burnt areas but i expect a buyer wont even see them !

Regs

Laurence

johnny.t.":2j2dgamb said:
Thanks for the input everyone :)

PJ, I'm starting to think you're a plain wood man :lol: I agree that the grain is lovely but have you ever seen a piece of Elm where it isn't?

JT
I suppose i am Johnny.
I just can't see the point in decorating a nicely figured/grained piece of wood.
I have done it meself and will do it again but only on a dull looking lumps of wood,and yes i have some rather unattractive Elm,which if i had your skill would decorate.
I did also say that the band on this piece i think would have looked better on the top of the bowl where the grain isn't as interesting.

Thanks for the Elm tip johnny, now I think of it I did try out two new scraping tools on the interior of mine.

As regards the shape, I'm not sure what I'm not keen on, it's not a choice, just a natural preference. No offence intended.

Thanks again.

Back