Ellsworth Signature gouge sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNC

Reaction score
I came back to woodturning a couple of years ago and have recently been given a 5/8" Ellsworth Signature gouge. I'd be very grateful for any advice on how to sharpen the gouge on a RS ProEdge (with the 3 hole jug). The gouge is brand new and I don't want to mess up the grind.

You probably won't be able to match the grind exactly unless it was originally ground on a ProEdge.
Unless someone posts the exact measurements I would mark the whole of the bevel with marker pen & using the topmost hole (I think) set the protrusion to where a line of marker is removed from top to bottom on the nose of the bevel. You may have to make a judgement on this if the gouge has a hollow grind from a wheel as you are now grinding with a flat belt.
Then it's a case of trial & error to make adjustments as you see where marker is being removed from the sides.

I sharpen the same grind with the Tormek jig, which looks very much the same as the jig on the Sorby. The settings for that are: Jig setting: 6, Protrusion: 75mm. The one you won't be able to set in the same way is the distance from the wheel but I would suggest you use the farthest hole on the base and see how it looks.

You can't.
I have the same.
The Pro edge can't replicate the exact geometry. Nor can anything using the tormek jigs. You can make something similar but you can't replicate the factory edge.
Make the Ellsworth DIY jig in the leaflet or get a grinder and a oneway wolverine style jig that can be adjusted to copy the Ellsworth one.
Is this the Crown cryo Ellsworth signature gouge ?

Many thanks Robbo3, Paul and Duncan for your advice and tips. Most grateful for your help. Paul C

You can't.
I have the same.
The Pro edge can't replicate the exact geometry. Nor can anything using the tormek jigs. You can make something similar but you can't replicate the factory edge.
Make the Ellsworth DIY jig in the leaflet or get a grinder and a oneway wolverine style jig that can be adjusted to copy the Ellsworth one.
Is this the Crown cryo Ellsworth signature gouge ?
Exactly that - the Crown cryo Ellsworth Signature 5/8"

Back