Elliptical basswood or Mdf louvre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Charles

Reaction score
I'm looking for a supplier of basswood or Mdf ..plantation blind Elliptical slats or louvre's .I have been googling for ages with not much luck .. I'm going to make the stiles and rails but I've not got the equipment for the slats and I don't want the router cutter types they don't seem to get the same shape as the planer moulder type .also I would like to find a jig to drill the side pins into the louvres I know rockler make one but I do not seem to be able to find a UK supplier of their plantation shutter jigs ..I would be most grateful for and advice ..thanks

Doubt you will find any. It's get a bit for your router table or spindle moulder and make your own. Or make flat slats with bullnose edges

Your probably right did find a supplier but they said I needed to purchase it buy the container .. I will try and get the rockler router bits and jigs if I can find a UK supplier

Or ask a local joinery shop. They will need to factor in the cost of the cutter, probably written off on this job but you will get the profile that you want.

Your probably right did find a supplier but they said I needed to purchase it buy the container .. I will try and get the rockler router bits and jigs if I can find a UK supplier

You can order all Rockler products directly from them but of course you will take a hit on customs and vat. Failing that you can use a shipping agent like www.shipito.com but charges are steep. Try and keep the package under 4 pounds and then you can use the USPS Airmail Economy rate which is usually the lowest.

Thanks for all your replys .. I think that's What I'm probably going to do
On the rockler web site they state that if you keep it under a certain amount you don't pay customs duty ...
I did once order a woodpecker parallel guide which started out very reasonable but buy the time I received it I was hit with the duty ..but it still worked out ok much cheaper than it is being sold over here ..

The cutter probably has a reasonable resale value when are done with it given that they are rare over here

Direct from China. I installed some a couple of years ago. I measured up, the customer ordered them from the manufacturer in China and I fitted them when they arrived.
The quality was excellent, pre painted and easy to fit. The cost was a quarter of any UK supplier (who likely get them from China too).
Of course this was pre covid and shipping container madness.
Hardly worth making them yourself unless you really want to for fun or whatever.

Ollie

Back