Eliminator Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Several folk here have praised the Xtreme Xtension, including me. I bought mine mainly for use in the router table where the combination of the extra length and the quick bit changing ability makes it a very desirable accessory.

However for use off the table and particularly in the Woodrat, the extra length can be a handicap and for this reason I bought a PC Eliminator Chuck. I got mine from the USA agent for Woodrat ( http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/Merc ... =W/CTGY/RC ) who were the cheapest source I found ($50 plus postage).

(Naturally Woodrat don't sell these things themselves - they're still out to lunch :roll: )

The photo below gives an indication of the relative size of the chucks in use and as can be seen the Eliminator chuck on the right only adds 15mm to the effective bit length, compared to 35mm for the Xtreme Xtension. This makes the chuck very usable for the Rat.

Like the Xtreme Xtension it comes with instructions that are designed to help you minimise any extra vibration caused by using the thing. (Basically this involves tightening the chuck in different positions around 360 degrees to find where the resulting set up is least out of balance) In practice, I found that on my DW 625, this was not a problem and although I followed the procedure, vibration was very low in any position - I had a hard time deciding if I had found a "sweet spot"

DSC_2753crop.sized.jpg

Bits are secured in the chuck using a one eighth inch allen key. I have a long T-bar key for this which makes it suitable for reaching under a router table top easily. It is not a ball-ended key so needs to be aligned rather more precisely than the key that came with my Xtreme Xtension - and I am not absolutely sure the recess in the cap screw is long enough to accomodate a ball-ended key. In the case of the Eliminator chuck, you need to provide your own key.

In short, this chuck does exactly what I wanted and makes bit changing quick and easy.

Thanks for that, Chris - it really does look the business, exactly what I need in fact. I'm particularly impressed that the vibration was minimal. Unfortunately it appears that there isn't one for the Makita 3612C yet :-({|= , I'll just have to hope that there is one in the pipeline.

So are you keeping your XX for the router table, or are you open to offers? :wink: :lol:

Seriously, though, do you think that the XX would be a more useful accessory for a rat-less woodworker like me who would only use it in the router table?

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

I expect to see them appearing for more routers in time. Originally they were only available for the Porter Cables routers but now there are a few more (DW and Bosch).

'Fraid I'm keeping my XX (it's a more or less permanent fixture in my table router).

For use just in a router table I would say it is a bit of a toss up whether to go with the XX or the Eliminator but at the moment, I would probably say the Eliminator on the grounds that there seem to have been a few occasions lately when I have had to dismount the XX because I couldn't wind the router down far enough in the table with the bit I was using at the time.

I must say that either beats the two-handed hassle of changing bits with a spanner and a spindle lock hands down!

Thanks Neil & Chris,

I think I'll hang on for a while in case an Eliminator is released for the Makita, but if I get too desparate in the meantime I'll go for the XX. Did either/both of you get the XX from Roger Pheaby, or direct from the US?

Neil

I got the XX from Roger.

One thing I should have made clear in my brief review is that the potential difference in bit protrusion is a lot more than the 20mm apparent difference noted above. This is because in the XX the bit can only be inserted a shortish distance (to the bottom of the hole in the XX. In the case of the Eliminator chuck, the bit can go all the way to the bottom of the hole in the routers motor shaft . The difference between these two situations is plainly the entire length of the hole in the motor shaft plus a bit. And to add to this huge difference there is the 20mm noted above.

Thats very interesting, Chris - obvious once you pointed it out, but it didn't occur to me at all until then :oops:. Well, this makes a big difference, some of my cutters have really long shafts so this could cause problems. I think I'll be more patient waiting for an Eliminator than I was going to be!

Cheers,
Neil

I have been waiting for a review of the Eliminator chuck, so many thanks. One question of a more technical nature if you can help - how does the chuck grip the shank of the router bit?

Bob

Bob,

Like the XX, there is a cap screw that passes through the upper section of the of the chuck at a tangent to the bore. Tightening the cap screw causes a small wedge shaped piece to advance into the bore through a small window milled in the side of the bore. As the bore is a very close fit to the bits, the wedge cannot actually go anywhere to speak of and the pressure from it holds the bit tight in the bore of the chuck.

Both the Eliminator and the XX clearly depend on very close manufacturing tolerances (which is probably why they are expensive).

Chris

Thanks for the details. I presume you have not experienced any problems holding 1/4" shank cutters in the reducing bush. I use a Hitachi MV12 and 1/4" routers will "walk" out of the chuck unless I really swing on the spanner - I hope the Eliminator chuck becomes available for this router soon!

Bob

Thanks for this Chris

I managed to cancel the Xtreme Xtension order (luckily it was from Rutlands and so I had plenty of time before they shipped it :roll: ) and got a PC Eliminator. Perfect accompaniment to the Rat and works really well.

Hi folks,

I had been reading through some of the reports on the Eliminator chuck here and a while ago bought one for my DW 625 on the 'Rat. Initial trials did not go well with vibration problems but were soon sorted. For a mini review of my trials and tribulations have a look here http://www.aldel.co.uk/Reviews9.htm

Cheers aldel

Back