Eliminator chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger,

IIRC this is for PC routers only. The Xtreme Xtension is suitable for all routers and really does a fantastic job.

And - sorry I don't know who supplies the Eliminator :cry:

As the official importer of the Xtreme Xtension and as it happens the Legacy Ornamental Mill I do from time to time import the Eliminator chuck for use with Porter Cable Routers, if you need an Eliminator let me know, happy to oblige but the Xtreme Xtension is more versatile as it fits any ½" router and comes complete witha ¼2 collet adaptor and the 8 mm adaptor from Trend also fits making it very versatile.

Another vote for the Xtreme Xtension - one purchase I'm thankful for eveytime I use the router table!
Good to see you here ChippyChap - welcome!
Cheers
Gidon

Hi ChippyChap

Welcome to the forum.

I also have the Xtreme Xtension. I bought it after Steve Maskerey told me how well engineered it was.

Cheers
Neil

I also use the Xtreme Xtention and have to say a very worthwhile purchase. I also have the CNC extentions from Axminster although they are not as versatile as the Xtreme becaue you will have to change if you go from 1/2 to 1/4 etc. I use these on my smaller router table with the Xtreme on the big one.

Go for it Roger, you know you want one. Not sure but i don't think Philly has this one yet. stand by for gloat from the phillster.

I've bought an Xtreme Xtension and after reading through the installation instructions am wondering how important clean collets are etc to minimise vibration?

Pristine?

Should I get a Collet Care kit from Trend?

They mention applying oil? Ideally STP? Would WD40 be OK?

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

First and foremost you should not run your router collet without some form of lubricant, and WD40 is OK as a last resort. WD40 is a great product but for this job where the collet is spinning at high revs it is a little on the light side, 3 in 1 would be better if you have no motor oil in your garage, but you can take a little drop off the dip-stick of your car.

A good analogy is a car engine, would you run that with out oil? Same applies to your collet in the vast majority of cases but some collets are better than others, good ones include Dewalt & Elu, some others are OK some times and others are .........well!

I hope that helps and by the way the Xtreme Xtension only need sa mere smear.

Why does the collet need oil?

Surely it's fixed into the nut assembly and it's that that does the rotating...I'm assuming that DeWalt have done the right thing with keeping their bearings greased...(at least I've never seen 'oil your bearings as a 12,000 mile service for routers :wink: )

I'm clearly missing something here.

Today is wood working tool analogy day - that's official :D

The collet of your router is basically no different to a heavy duty nut and bolt and I don't know about you but if I am going to be undoing that nut & bolt a lot then I will certainly keep it well oiled or greased. If you think about the mechanics of the collet, I am not referring to the Xtreme Xtension here, that nut assembly put significant pressure on the thread so lubrication makes sense.

You hit on a good point about no mention of 12,000 mile service on a DeWalt or the equivelent what ever that is for routers, but manufacturers tend to forget these issues.

The Xtreme Xtension works on entirely different principals, it is primarily an extension, dynamically balanced with a quick release mechaism and a light drop of oil will not go amiss.

So go dip your stick and oil your router collet if it is stiff!

Back