Eliminate SNIPE on your P/T? Long but worth the read!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

A story of intrigue and snipe :wink:

Well, it all started many years ago. In the year of the yellow toed bull frog if I'm not mistaken :-k

An old Chinese engineer decided that his company should design a NEW innovative planer thicknesser and take the world by storm. This would assure his company undreamt of profits and secure him a place in heaven [-o<

However, the marketing dept said - stuff that :twisted: !! Too expensive. let's simply rip-off the Elektra Beckum model instead, paint it different colours and ship it to any English company that will sell one. So they did :wink:

They copied it down to the last detail (allegedly) and even included some little brackets on the thicknesser table - but no-one ever sold anything to fix to them :cry:

Now, the story gets interesting. One day a veritable genius (a modest one :wink: ) was making a new mobile base for his SIP version of the P/T

Base.jpg

and thought "I've had about enough of this snipe and I'm gonna use those little brackets to fix it :p

Those brackets:

Those_brackets.jpg

A piece of 8mm aluminium sheet that was lieing around the garage and so was utilised as an outfeed table (MDF would probably do). The sheet was cut with a jigsaw. Aluminium is a pain to saw, it clogs teeth on saws and files!! When I was an apprentice ( a, ahem, few years ago :whistle: ), the foreman got us to use chalk on files and oil on blades.
3-in-1 on the blade stopped it clogging - on the second piece; forgot on the first :oops:

Drill (5mm) and tap 6mm holes to mount with cap head set-screws in the pre-counterbored holes in the brackets as shown here:

Outfeed_plate.jpg

On checking the plate, I found it was perfectly aligned with the thicknesser table :shock: Those chinese are good :wink: :roll:

I planed some 18mm ply down to the level of the planer table and screwed it to he outfeed table from below with 4 woodscrews. I gave it a couple of coats of wax too.

Infeed_finished.jpg

I ran a piece of wood through and got ZERO snipe on the rear of the board BUT some snipe on the front - when feeding it in :roll:
So, I repeated the build for the infeed table and ran a new piece of wood through. ZERO :shock: :shock: snipe on both ends :D :eek:ccasion5: (hammer)

This wood went straight through the planer before the mod and gave 1mm+ sipe at both ends.
The following photo shows it after passing through when the mod was completed :lol: Snipeless =D>

Snipeless.jpg

Picture of wood being fed in (because I had one in my camera!)

In_use.jpg

Great Tony =D> but who's this veritable genius that you the idea from? :wink: :lol: \:D/

So thats what you've been up to :shock: Tony you have got far too much time on your hands :mrgreen:

Bean

Tony does it again! Fantastic stuff. No such brackets on my scheppach, but it got me thinking. Other than a little loss in capacity, a long aluminium (or whatever) plate of the right width and length, with suitable stops to prevent it being pulled through the machine would do the same thing. Sure would save on setting up those roller supports each time.

Apologies i have just had a look at mine and it in fact does have the brackets after all!!

You say MDF would work just aswell...then i'll take your word for it and i will get mine done tomorrow

Ta, Tom

Tony
Magic stuff!
Problem-solution 8) Thats the way to do it.
Just need you to solve a problem Mrs Philly has, now. You do any Stepford mods? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
JUST JOKING (in case anyone is reading this who shouldn't)
Cheers
Philly :D
Runnin for the hills.....

Nice one tony.

Possible could do with support legs of a temporary nature?
or even drop in tables that lift off. Not a criticism but further support to your present setup.

Charley":14yl5pd6 said:
Great Tony =D> but who's this veritable genius that you the idea from? :wink: :lol: \:D/
ROTFLM*O! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one, Tony. :D About the only good thing I can say about the Maxi is it's pretty much snipe-free - touch wood, so far... 8-[

Cheers, Alf

devonwoody":13j1tgbk said:
Nice one tony.

Possible could do with support legs of a temporary nature?
or even drop in tables that lift off. Not a criticism but further support to your present setup.

DW
Absolutely no need what-so-ever for additional support mate. I can't budge the ali sheet even when pressing down with both hands. I was a little dubious before building it but in the end all was absolutely solid!! :lol: The brackets are surprisingly rigid

Bean
Ha Ha! I was on holiday last week and also this week (wife at work, kids at work/school) :eek:ccasion5:

Jake
I think that the idea of passing the sheet underneath is a goer, have fun :wink:

Tom
I haven't tried MDF but I think it should work fine if bolted nice and tightly. If not, then a piece of 12mm ply might work as the lower support

Charley
The veritable genius is far too shy to have their name bandied around here :lol:

Blimey, everyone has been very inventive round here, a new method of cutting dovetails on the 'Rat, a belt sander jig for sharpening chisels and now a snipe eliminator!! Where will it all end!

Good stuff Tony.

John

Hi all

I just wanted to bring this to the fore again as I planed and thicknessed loads of Ash and Poplar today.

After thicknessing about 12m of 20mm rough cut boards down to 15mm planed boards, I saw NO snipe what-so-ever. Not even a hint!!!!

This mod is the best I've come up with (not much competition, I know) and I reckon all owners of these clones would be well advised to try it out

[/quote]

Just out of interest Felders have profiled edges to their thicknesser tables to take ready-made aluminium or cast iron extensions. The cast-iron ones are 500 mm long x 150mm wide. the ally ones come in 500 x 300mm and 1000 x 150mm (with support leg) varieties, I believe, and can also be attached to tables on other machines in the range. The extension system bars to go on non-Felders are available from either Felder or Aigner, who incidentally manufacture a compatible system with other extension table sizes, and including some of the safety equipment Felder sell under their own brand name.

Scrit

Latest posts

Back