Elektra Bekum PKF 255 V8 - clean out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
A colleague has acquired one of these. The blade rise and fall seems stiff at its extremes. That is the central part of the adjustment is very smooth and accurate but the first and last 10 to 15 mm is very stiff. Has any one experience of this on this model.

My first thought was that wood dust had probably coated the screw thread adjusters and was now causing it to bind. Should he just turn it upside down and clean it do you think.

Thanks in advance

I have one of these machines, although not the V8 (scoring blade) version. Turning it upside down whilst by no means impossible, has got to be a good deal more difficult that gaining access through the removable side panels.
I can't comment on the likelihood of the screw adjuster being coated with sawdust because that hasn't happened with mine (nearly 2 years) but then I have always used mine with a dust extractor
John

Beech It could well be a build up of dust on the leadscrew, I have suffered this upon the angle adjustment of my saw. Clean it out and refit the covers but dont put anyform of lubricant onto the leadscrew as this will only make the matter worse.

Bean

John,

On this model the side panels are below the blade and adjuster mechanism so you would be lying on your back over a sharpish edge..ouch. Do you know if its possible to get to the adjusters from the top maybe by removing the sliding table and outrigger. ?
Thanks in advanmce if you reply to this.

beech1948":2s18u405 said:
John,

On this model the side panels are below the blade and adjuster mechanism so you would be lying on your back over a sharpish edge..ouch. Do you know if its possible to get to the adjusters from the top maybe by removing the sliding table and outrigger. ?
Thanks in advanmce if you reply to this.

Removing the sliding table just gets you to the blade 'box'. I should imagine that you would need to get to the height adjusting mechanism from underneath. I haven't had to do this on mine, or the one I owned before (yes I'm on my second one now, I sold the first one when I had to move, first chance I had I bought another).
Your colleague might like to have a look at the manuals that you can download from their website
www.elektra-beckum.co.uk
John

Hi Beech, as already suggested, I'm pretty sure you need to get inside the machine to do this - I used to sell the PKF's and on most call outs I did it was neccessary to physically get inside (ouch I know :!: )

But have you tried running a small screwdriver (2-3mm head, like clockmakers use) inside the main thread at the ends of the rise and fall rod? Turn the rise/fall handle as you do and let the screwdriver follow the inside of the thread. The symptoms you describe sound similar to what can happen on thicknessers when fine spray of resin and all sorts of gunk gets compacted inside the thread itself - not always visible, as it compacts into the thread at the extremities - this then stops any movement toward the end of the thread - with 10 X 6 thicknessers it usually stops the bed from getting closer than 20mm to the blade. Worth a try??

Best regards
Nick
Jet

I had a look at mine yesterday, and I must say that your colleague hasn't troubled himself to actually take off the side panel furthest from the blade and actually have a look!
The rise and fall screw is clearly visible, and identifiable as being connected to the rise and fall handle. Cleaning it should be a simple matter using Jetman's technique, or an airline if you have one
John

Jetman, do you know of any resources outside the manual for fine tuning the elektra beckum PKF 255?

I recently have found the fence doesn't appear to be paralel to the blade. I have a lot of investigation to make but I think the blade is paralel to the table. Anyway, the manual, as most manuals out there, is not great and I can't believe there isn't any more detailed information made available by EB on their products!

Alternatively, have you any tips on fine tuning this saw?

johnelliott":15aeadx5 said:
I had a look at mine yesterday, and I must say that your colleague hasn't troubled himself to actually take off the side panel furthest from the blade and actually have a look!

My colleague is a 68 year old gentleman ( some 14 yrs older than I) with dodgy knees and that side of the saw is against a wall.....but many thanks for your message. It shows that I need to move the saw for him and there is a chance of getting at the screw which is not obvious from the other side.

Jetman":czeppi32 said:
But have you tried running a small screwdriver (2-3mm head, like clockmakers use) inside the main thread at the ends of the rise and fall rod? Turn the rise/fall handle as you do and let the screwdriver follow the inside of the thread.

Thanks Jetman. I'm planning on turning the saw on its side this weekend nand giving the inside bits a clean out. Screwdriver sounds like a good idea combined with a blast from my compressor.

Back