Elektra Beckum HC260 Planer Thicknesser Fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Milne

Established Member
Reaction score
I have one of these EB HC260 Planer Thicknessers. In most respects, it is an OK machine. However, when using it as a jointer, the fence locking system leaves a lot to be desired.

The fence locking mechanism looks like this:

EB_Planer.jpg

I use a square to align the fence to the table bed. However, I then have to lock it into position using the lever-lock screw shown. Just as I get to the 'tightening point' the fence will tilt backwards away from the table. It moves a good 2-3 degrees. There seems no way to keep the thing square to the table. If I just nip up the lock screw to just before the point where it shifts, then the fence is not held tightly enough and it will move during operation. So I have been trying to angle the fence slightly acute to the table bed, in the hope that this will bring the thing back into square during the final tightening. As you can imagine, this is hit or miss and most of the time the fence is not square. I think I may be spending more time playing with the fence than I am planing timber.

I am leaning towards the conclusion that the fence locking mechanism is poorly designed and that this is, for once, not user error. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to bring some sort of functionality back to the fence. I wondered if there was some sort of 'after-market' fix.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• EB_Planer.jpg
    EB_Planer.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 340
Put a plywood face on it at 90 deg when its locked, easy to plane up a bit at 2-3 deg.

MikeJhn":2svoo6hb said:
Put a plywood face on it at 90 deg when its locked, easy to plane up a bit at 2-3 deg.

Not a bad idea, but that assumes that the tilt is a consistent 2-3 degrees during the tightening. I am not convinced that that is the case.

GrahamF":3lj4qcpx said:

I had a good R of TFM, and I’m reasonably confident that I have the stops set correctly. However, as I think can be seen from my picture, there is nothing to prevent the fence tilting away from the bed (since the direction of movement is away from the stop), and this is what happens when I tighten things up.

Steve Milne":8uli3hm1 said:
MikeJhn":8uli3hm1 said:

Not a bad idea, but that assumes that the tilt is a consistent 2-3 degrees during the tightening. I am not convinced that that is the case.

It actually assumes that the tilt is constant once tightened.

MikeJhn":y2jb3tie said:
Steve Milne":y2jb3tie said:
MikeJhn":y2jb3tie said:

It actually assumes that the tilt is constant once tightened.

Ah, yes. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Do you think that the fence would hold that position then and never need adjusting again? ( I do need to remove the fence for thicknessing operations.) If so, then it is a viable option.

Just try it and see, no need to bolt the false fence on a bit of double sided tape will do to see if it works.

I have the Record PT260, which is identical. If the adjustment stops are correct with the fence tightening lever loose, then it will be out of alignment when locked off. It's a case of under or over adjusting (can't remember which) the stops so that when the locking lever is tightened, it's correct.

Footer with it, until you hit 90, then scribe a line across the side face of the locking bracket and trunnion? If you then slowly, carefully, undo the Brizzel lever, you should be able to mark a second line. In use, move to second line, tighten lever, first line acts as a check you made 90? Just a thought.
Mine is 300 miles away in storage, or I would go try this myself. In the past, I have always nipped it up almost tight, then gently rubber malleted it into square before full locking. Seemed to work...

Sam

Latest posts

Back