Elektra Beckum 'green' bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a two-speed EB for sale locally (allegedly virtually unused)...max cut about 7" and throat 12". No model number but it's green!

Not a lot to go on I know ....but anyone have any ideas?

Is 'green' the professional range?

It's £325 and you can buy blue ones with a similar spec. for just under that price.

If I got it then I'd sell the AWSBS that I have..which is a cracking little bandsaw.

Cheers

Roger

Yup, green before they went blue. Personally I'd never have an EB BS in the shop again. Get the model number, generally the green ones are 1 digit less than the current blue ones. IE a green EB 315 becomes a blue EB 316.

At £325 it's wishful thinking but then again I'm not surprised. If he bought it a long time ago then he probably did pay £500 or whatever and that's what he's setting his valuation on. Sadly hopelessly out-of-date with real market value.

Noel - why don't you rate EB?

I have a 315 (a green one but same as 316 blue) as Trevtheturner has experienced, rubbish fence, usleless upper and lower guide adjustments (especially the lower guides), if the table is removed for cleaning etc, it's rubic's cube time to try and reseat it. Simply put, it aspires to mediocrity. It'll do me until I get a decent Jet or similar. Bought 2nd hand and for the money (£150 odd 2 years ago) I'll not complain any more.
Haven't looked at other EB models I have little faith in them.

The usual difference in the green EB and the blue is that the blue has a cast iron table.I would agree with the other points about it being mediocre.A rip fence comes with the saw.I got the stand free with mine.I think I paid £324 about 8 years ago.You don't get a crosscut/mitre fence with this so I enquired about buying one.Sit down folks.........£45.Needless to say I made one.

Harry, pretty sure there was/is a choice on table material. My green 'un is cast iron and the table on the blue 'uns ali or cast iron, buyer makes the choice.
Agree with you on the mitre gauge, made one too.

I rarely use my green EB 315 anymore, (bought new for £300ish about twelve years ago) but when I use to make electric guitars I used it constantly (lots of curves in Strat components). Excellent bandsaws, especially for curved work. The first, AFAIK, to use bearings for blade guides, last for ever.
It lives in the garage now, I only use it for cutting up old kitchen doors for firewood. Handy that it has a nice aluminium table because the CI would be covered in rust by now

If you need to cut straight lines then it maight not be the best choice, although I think straight line work depends on the blade more than the machine. For curved work they are ideal
John
John

Roger,

I agree with John in that my EB315 (green one with cast iron table - as seen in my workshop) is fine for preparing turning blanks and curved work, and for ripping prior to planing. However, it does have the failings as described by Noel, with consequent limitations of accuracy.

It was probably okay in its time but £325 is way, way over the top for one. I bought mine about four years ago, just before the advent of the blue model, at a show for £299, with the mitre fence (£45) and six (useless) blades thrown in!

I'm looking to upgrade to something a little larger at some stage so - if you do want a reasonably priced floor-standing one for starters .....................

Cheers,

Trev.

Latest posts

Back