Elektra Beckum 260 planer blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintandsteel

Established Member
Reaction score
Just on with installing new blades and noticed this in the manual
metabo planer cutters.jpg

If you compare left and right images the blades are different ways round.
Fortunately you can't install them incorrectly as the 2 locating pins (one round one oval) mean it only goes in one way round.
However try as I might I can't get the blades down low enough to adjust as they should.
I actually think it's the 2 side adjusting brackets on the Outfeed table causing the problem as that table came off a slightly later model so sits just a hint lower than it should. Maybe lengthen the bracket slot a hint.
With that the travel with a light aluminium ruler is more like 15 rather than the 4-6mm they recommend. Top side planing then is not on for the moment.
I can though level the blades and as I mainly use the thicknesser that shouldn't present any issues.

Unless you've spotted an error in my logic.

It's an old 260c. Generally a very god machine.
Yes it is adjustable but it's reached the end of the slot in the brackets. Horizontally the grub screws are ok for fine adjustment.
Using it primarily as a thicknesser it's not often the out table is fitted.
I don't think the brackets will require too much adjustment, maybe 1 or 2mm. Mind you they could be sided so I'll try reversing them first.
Did you note the illustrations above? One shows the correct setting while the other is reversed.

I have a 260 and yes the manual does have an error.
Steve, if you look which way the bevel on the blade is @74 and then @80 you can see they are in different directions to the clamping block.
In terms of the outfield table, you can put shims underneath the flat plates of the brackets that anchor the table to the chassis.
I have managed to get the 4 - 6 mm travel but I still occasionally get snipe - despite having watched Steve’s YouTube video a few times.

Got some adjustment but been doing battle with the out table sliders. There's a clearance either side so as when the locking catches are applied it tends skew the table a little just a hint, which would make one side of the top edge a fraction higher or lower and forward or back than the other. Probably only talking very small measurements but that difference transfers when setting blade height.
Got one cutter set with a 5mm travel only to go to the second one and it was way over acceptable even when the carrier was bottomed.
Start over again .............

Finally done it and achieved 4-5mm all round.
On close inspection I discovered that some pillock had tried inserting and screwing up the blade holder 90 degrees out. i.e. nuts facing upwards. This had marked the bed and left high spots where the bolts had bitten it. Flattened all that off.
Other than that had a bit of a battle truing up the in and out tables but eventually all came good.
Planes beautifully and is if anything a little quieter !

Back