Electrostatic Filters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

hi everyone

i have been lurking for sometime and have found this forum a mine of very helpful information, thanks :)

needs must has brought me out of my shell. :wink:

i am toying with the idea of buying an air filter for my workshop, in particular the axminster asf500.

only the price of the outer filters £9.75 is putting me off

in issue 150 of the goodwoodworking magazine a jet afs1000 air filter, which is the next size up, was reviewed and the reviewer said that the outer filters were standard and could be bought cheaper elsewhere.

i know people from the magazine post here so can they tell me where online i can purchase these cheaper filters.

if i can find a supplier of cheaper filters i think it would help a lot

many thanks

jake44

Hi Jake44,
welcome to the forum

I did the test on the jet AFS1000 in GWW a few months back and I did mention the prices of the filters as being expensive especially the inner.
I looked ‘Air Filters’ in my yellow pages and phoned the local companies 3off in my area and I gave them the 600mm x 300mm size of the pre filter and 2off them gave me prices of £7 each and one gave me a price of £8.99. So they are slightly cheaper than Axminster. I never priced the charcoal ones but I should have as they seem to supply almost every Kebab shop and restaurant with a canopy with these filters.
I had a quick look at Axminsters site and they seem to be way up at £22 but Jet is still offering them at £12 on their site.
The inner filters I don’t think you will ever need to change as I’ve run mine for nearly 2 years and it has only ever needed a light vacuuming. I have only ever changed the outer filters twice as these also stand up to a good vacuuming, I term the change out cost of these good value for money considering what they have gathered as opposed to my lungs doing the filtering.
The activated charcoal filters are really only required when you use a lot of chemicals or glue. It is supposed to kill the fumes that is given off
Workshop filters don’t catch the dust at source though and that it where a good extraction system is a must; what they do is clean the lightweight airborne particles that we breathe so a good fitting face filter is still required but you will notice a difference in what you cough up and a newly varnished piece.
I also made my own filters in that issue by using a dust extractor bag; cut it to size and stapled around a frame, it works very well judging by the amount of cleaning it requires
Mounting your filter is very important also; have it quite high; central but near a wall to create the whirlwind affect and down wind of your dust producer.

Hope that was of help
Ian

hi

thanks for the detailed answer ian.

thanks also for the kind welcomes :)

jake44

Latest posts

Back