Electronic gate openers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electric gates are very common here (no, I dont have one :roll: ) and for outward swinging gates they aint 'arf bulky. If your outside wall is a street boundary the council isnt going to be happy.
Have you considered a single electric powered sliding gate? I know that means another gate, but they are so easy to use and free up an awful lot of space.

Outward opening is unusual and always gives delivery drivers and ad hoc visitors a shock.

I have rarely had them fitted on properties I have owned or managed, as inward opening is much easier to set up. I used to use underground motor units as they are much more discreet and I think this is the only realistic option for outward opening.

I tend to use CAME. For both types. I have found them durable and reliable, and fairly easy to programme (don't underestimate that bit - set up of the safety and loop systems can be fiddly).

Overspec them. This is important if you want longevity - do not push the motor v maximum gate size.

Bear in mind that if you use solid gates (as opposed to say wrought iron) then in windy conditions the fail safe systems may prevent system operation especially if you have been mean with spec, as the gates work like a sail and trigger the safety mechanism.

I have wide, solid timber gates (opening is about 5.5 metres overall ) and I did not know it when I installed them, but my N/S oriented drive turned out to be a wind corridor in stormy conditions. I over-specced quite a lot but in high winds the mechanism can struggle.

Make sure that whatever system you get, the manual override is a) easy to operate and b) secure (by which I mean properly lockable).

Mine is CAME, very simple and cheap. I have a single 12ft 5bar gate and it works a treat. Basic with no gizmos.

Why do people have these gates at all? Unless they are to keep a dog from straying onto the road they rarely serve any useful purpose. They certainly don't deter burglars, they are an expensive gadget and status symbol. Rant over. Going to lie down in a dark room. :evil: :D

Some very useful bits of information thanks.
Had to make a change and increase opening to 4m as the approach is angled which would have left one leaf in the way at 90° to the post when open.
Not exactly what I envisaged but looks like a bigger gap than desired is going to be left between gate and post when closed with these underground units.
Getting the right and a bit more spec units is high on the list .
All this is an afterthought and although ducting is at one post we now need to "mole" under to the other side.
Off to look for a trained mole :wink: :lol:
Cheers Andy

Aquachiefofficer":gs360ewr said:
Why do people have these gates at all? Unless they are to keep a dog from straying onto the road they rarely serve any useful purpose.

I get your rant, but dogs is what mine is for and it's a pain getting out in the rain to close the gate.
It cost me about £400 and worth every penny.

Dogs are the reason for mine too.

I fitted Quiko gate system- but inward opening.
A little fiddly to wire (I won't use Cat5e next time it's too brittle), but easy to code, and great service replacing one of the rams that was slower than the other on install (no problems in 6 months since then)
They were also reasonably priced :mrgreen:

I've learned today that training moles could be an earner :wink:
7 day hire for a moler is £160 plus sorting a compressor :shock:

It seems I may have misinterpreted or been misinformed as, if the ground units here https://gateauto.uk/product/beninca-du- ... round-kit/ are used between the posts, an opening angle of 110°, should be achievable.
If the gates/ground units are in front or behind the posts it is then said to limit the opening to a maximum of 90°.

I rang CAME to get some specs but to no avail, just a job survey form to fill out.

The hinges for these arched accoya gates to work with the closerss is taking some finding, any pointers ?. I'd like to use all stainless if possible.

Why gates? Very nice frontage with sun in the summer evenings and gives safe play area for children 8)
Cheers Andy

Latest posts

Back