Electrolytic rust removal, how much washing soda ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got all the components to give this a try, how strong does the solution of washing soda need to be and can someone confirm the negative from the battery charger goes to the tool and the positive to the piece of sacrificial steel bar

Hi

I did this recently with great success. Soda about a tablespoon per gallon. Negative to the object being derusted and positive to the sacrificial anode.

Loadsa vids on youtube i.e.

I used bicarb...any salt is ok really at low concentration just enough to allow the current to pass

I don't know what you're trying to remove the rust from, but I've cleaned hand-saw blades, plane cap irons, frogs and blades by submerging them in white vinegar and leaving over-night......cheap as chips as well.....:oops:.....I'll get my coat

The nice thing about electrolysis is that it stops at the rust. Acids, ultimately, continue with the good metal also.

For an electrolyte, I generally use a random amount of sodium hydroxide. Although I wouldn't recommend anyone else do the same, as naoh is pretty hostile to human flesh.

NaOH would make that clearer - it took me 3 attempts to get Noah and the Arc out of my head :)

D'oh! -- or even Ark :mad:

Always re-read before you [Post] !

Last edited:
1 tablespoon of washing soda to 1 gallon of water and the Negative is attached to the tool.
When all is done dry the tools immediately and lightly oil, if you do not, you will see the rust form before your eyes. Works great for augers and such like. Never use stainless steel as the anode, it will give off gases that you really don't want to breathe in.

1table spoon per litre of water as a start.

Adjust the anodes to start the process. But if the anodes are with in 1" of the material to be de-rusted (@12vdc)

Add more. But be prepared to watch for a jump in current draw.

When the metal is done take out and dry well.
I use a hot air blower, gas torch or a paraffin torch.

On lumps of metal like vices or horseshoes when it is warm rub in wax and oil to seal it.

I use scrap ferrous metal. Not Stainless. From break discs to rebar off cuts. I leave the end clear of the liquid and connect the negative wires with croc clips.

The item to be de-rusted can have the copper wire attached to it.

Do not allow the connections to make a spark. It will not be good.

I have done nuts to a Land rover chassis with this methods.

Back