electricity in the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw the article in the good woodworking re building regulations and the need for calling in a qualified, certified, etc., tradesman.

Does the team think that if I want to change my electric light bulb in my workshop (to a higher wattage) I will have to notify the authorities ?

Perhaps this regulation will be the same as the dado saw regulation and only apply to professional workshops ?

DW,

As far as I can see, and this is only my interpretation of it, you can do what you like so long as it is certified before use by a suitably qualified electrician. Alternatively you can get said qualified person to do the whole job for you.

This applies to the hardwiring part of kitchen, bathroom or outdoor (including outbuildings) electrical work. Since lightbulbs are not considered hardwiring you should be fine with your query :wink:

There is a discussion in off topic relating to part P in some depth, and the screwfix electricians forum is nothing but comments on this subject :roll:

Steve.

Look if it is for domestic use, you can do whatever you want, if it is for commercial use, you are bound by rules and has it to be done by a qualified person (Health and safety rules)

But if you feel confident about what you are doing, you can do it :wink:

And if you don't feel confident DON'T even think about it

Look if it is for domestic use, you can do whatever you want

McLuma - that is patently untrue. Part P of the regs now forbids a considerable amount of what was considered DIY electrical work in any circumstances - domestic or work.

There are threads all over the place here about what can and can't be done and whilst there is clearly some confusion, one thing is clear and that is that your statement is wrong.

Cheers

T

mod note

moved to off-topic.

I think the part P debate has been done-to-death on this forum and so please let it end here.

so this means i can get the wife to do the wiring and to change any light bulbs she is certified or should be :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

frank":3djx1odw said:
so this means i can get the wife to do the wiring and to change any light bulbs she is certified or should be :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

Superb Frank, made me laugh out loud.

Adam

I wonder what any inspector would make of my US wiring set-up? Starts off with a standard UK dp switch into a 3 kVA xformer which feeds a 110V GFCI breaker, then goes out on spurs to the sockets scattered around the building. All wiring is done using standard twist connectors with not a screw or junction box in sight.....

Oh yes, the feed to the building was put in a long time ago by someone else using armoured cable, and is a spur off a lamp-post in the garden, which in turn is fed from somewhere at the back of the airing cupboard (of course I'm not going to even LOOK at that now...)

Brian, sounds like you're safer than almost anyone in U.K. :wink: I would imagine the 'inspector' if they ever visited would condem it all. BTW can you confirm that running 110v as the Americans do will give a max +55v kick if you touch a live wire - I ask because I'm building my 'dream' w'shop right now and was thinking of doing what you've done. Here in Czechland the very idea of inspectors is laughable, never mind actually having them visit.

I wonder what any inspector would make of my US wiring set-up?

Brian... they canna bat an eye at it... anything downstream of the socket is none of their concern... just ummmmm... dinna mention the airing cupboard.. :wink:

Hi Losos

Only if you have your electricity fed from a centre tapped transformer in which case you have 55v with respect to the centre tap...BUT....if you stick your little fingers between the two other terminals then you will still get 110v IIRC.

Cheers

Roger

Back